How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask INC Your Own Question
INC, Solicitor-Advocate
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 11847
Experience:  LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
INC is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello, I am renting a house in Kent and missed one council

Customer Question

Hello, I am renting a house in Kent and missed one council tax payment when I was overseas in the US for 3 weeks. That was due April 1 2013. On the 12th of April the council issued a court summons including a £60 cost penalty and stated that I had to pay the entire annual amount (£2500) up front, as I forfeited my right to pay in installments. I then paid the latest two installments at the beginning of May and am up to date but the council will not relent. I am told I have to go to court and explain why I do not want to pay the annual charge to the judge. I have never missed a payment before and we have paid month to month as we are on a 9-month lease.

This seems incredibly punitive and an abuse of power. I have asked for the council's complaint procedure; isnt there a consumer protection law which gives consumers more than 11 days to pay a debt without being hauled in front of a court? If I get a court decision against me to pay the entire amount will this affect my credit rating?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  INC replied 4 years ago.


Please remember to RATE my answer by using the smiley faces OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE. If you seek clarification please ask.


Hi, unfortunately, if an Order is made against you, this would affect your credit rating as it would be a CCJ against your name.


AT this stage, you can only attend Court and request that you be allowed to continue to pay in instalments.


I hope this helps. If so, kindly click ACCEPT.


If you wish to discuss, please feel free to ask further questions.


Kind regards,

Customer :

No,actually this answer is insufficient. My question is whether there are consumer protection laws which would allow a summons to be issued after such a short amount of time, as described.

Expert:  Wendy-Mod replied 4 years ago.
Hi, I am a moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!