How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7617
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If a house is in joint ownership and one member damages it

This answer was rated:

If a house is in joint ownership and one member damages it deliberatly who is liable for the repairs ?

Can you give me some further details please?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

my brother and i have joint ownershjp of my late mums house and he has not got a key to the property and has told me that he intends to brake in .i just need to know if i whould be responsible for half the repair cost if he did ?


Thanks for your patience.

I’m afraid that if you are both the owners of the property then each has a right of access to the property that neither can deny the other until there is a court order which states that one should not have access. The court order would usually be pursuant to criminal or civil proceedings.

Therefore, in the absence of the court order your brother has a right of access to the property. In actual fact, if were able to prove his ownership of the property by producing the land registry registered title showing him as joint owner then a locksmith would be able to change the locks. He could then recover the monies from you.

In the circumstances it would be best to let him have access unless there are other cirucmstances of which I am not aware. If you are concerned that he may take items which are included in the estate, sell them and not account for the value then you may consider taking the items and placing them in storage.

I am very sorry.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you