How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7620
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a problem When my passport was renewed in 1993, for

This answer was rated:

I have a problem
When my passport was renewed in 1993, for some reason the date of birth changed from Mar 4 1951 to Mar 4 1954. I thought it would be a hassle to get it corrected so I have continued with that date. The passport was renewed again in 2011. My job dob is correct and I have an Indian document School Leaving certificate to say that my date of birth is Mar 4 1951.
I left it alone all these years because I thought my dob in the job was correct and I was not doing any fraud by making me younger for retirement.

I am of indian origin I surrendered my Indian passport in 1986 and got British Citizenship in that year. Please let me know what are the implications and what should I do to save penalties. What would be the penalties if this was discovered?

Thanks for your patience.

The difficulty is that you have not corrected the original mistake on your passport at the time and have proceeded since then on the basis of the mistaken date of birth.

Technically the UKBA could regard this as a deception, for which they may be entitled to revoke your citizenship ultimately. Whether they do so is a matter judged on a case by case basis.

If it is the case that you did not do this to gain an advantage in terms of your immigration status or subsequent attainment of a UK passport and it was simply that the administrative burden intimidated you then its less likely that the uKBA would seek to revoke it. If you have been of good character since the original mistake and since you obtained UK citizenship then this will also help.

However, it is a bit of a problem which if you want to attempt to correct you would have to instruct a solicitor to prepare your request to the UKBA to amend your certificate of naturalisation and then your passport. This would involve gathering the relevant evidence and also giving a detailed statutory declaration explaining why you did not correct it, that you have not gained an advantage and have been of good character (with references from people of authority who have known you for a long time).

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you