How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7609
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My girlfriend moved into my house in the UK to live with me

This answer was rated:

My girlfriend moved into my house in the UK to live with me about a year ago now. She is purely a girlfriend. We are not married and there are no children involved with either of us. I have a mortgage on the property and own the property outright. My girlfriend pays me a flat £500 a month rent by direct debit into my bank account which I declare for tax. At no time has she signed any rental agreement or legal papers of any kind and she does not appear on the deeds or mortgage for the house. My girlfriend does own her own property elsewhere, with her own mortgage arrangement, which she chooses to let out entirely independently of myself. After what time period of us living together (without any written agreement) would she have any legal claim on myself or the property (if at all?).

Has she carried out improvements to the property which have increased its value?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.


Yes. She has paid about £600 in total for a fireplace.


Thanks for your patience.

My answer assumes that she did not contribute any monies to the initial purchase of the property and that you shall remain unmarried.

The position is that where a person is not named on the registered title to a property then you can generally only claim an interest in the property if you have made either a capital contribution to it (ie. financing the purchase or pay for significant works which materially increase the value of the property) or have maintained the mortgage payments/paid rent or bills/foof to a total that is more than you would otherwise have paid in private rented accommodation in the area.
Provided does not contribute more money in payment for food than she would have otherwise paid in private rented accommodation for rent/bills/food and does not make improvements to the property which increases it’s market value then she would not be advised to make a claim against your property.
I would suggest that paying £600 for a new fireplace, although technically an improvement would not be a sufficient amount of investment to form the basis of a claim under the legislation on which the above would normally based. Particulaly because she would have to pay her own legal fees and presumably you would simply offer the value of the fireplace and be done with it.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.


Superb service and a thorough reply.


Very many thanks.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No further questions and yes, rated excellent. Thanks.
Thank you, no need to respond any further. You have already rated my answer.