How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7602
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How many years is it before you can claim land that you have

This answer was rated:

How many years is it before you can claim land that you have had uninterrupted use of.
Half my back garden is registered to somebody else under a separate title deed number.
The original owner of the land got it by nefarious means and and when made bankrupt, the official receiver sold it. I bought the house in May 2001 and the land changed hands in May 2003. I thought it was 10 years before I could claim it back, but have been told it is 12 years.

It is now 12 years between my purchase from the original owner to now, but only 10 years since the land changed hands.

Can anybody please advise me.

Kindest regards

Martin Simpson

Thanks for your patience.

If you have maintained the land uninterrupted for a period of time then if you wished to claim it you would do so by issuing a claim for adverse possession.

The time period for which you must have occupied the land is different depending on whether the land has a registered or unregistered title. Registered titles are those for which there are registered official copies at the Land Registry. Unregistered titles are those for which the only evidence of title is the “deeds” (ie. previous conveyances, assents etc) and typically relate to land which has not been mortgage or sole in the last 25 years.

If the land in question is unregistered then you must have been using it continuously for 12 years in order to be eligible to issue claim for adverse possession of it.

If the land is registered then you need only have been using it continuously for 10 years in order to apply for adverse possession at the Land Registry.

If the land changed hands in 2003 then it will be registered and if you have occupied it for this length of time then you meet the time requirement to issue a claim.

However, even though the time requirement is reduced (by the Land Registration Act 2002) the act actually made it more difficult to claim.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you