How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7602
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a hungarian just into the country. Living day by day at

This answer was rated:

I am a hungarian just into the country. Living day by day at various friends at the moment and going to get an NI number this week so i can start to look for a job etc

What immediate financial assistance, help,beenfits am i entitled to straight away and later

How long have you been in the UK please?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Tom


I arrived Saturday 23 bFebruary 2013





Hi Shaun

Thanks for your patience.

Your rights to benefits are very limited at the moment.

If you do not find work within the first three months then you will not be entitled to for emergency housing, or to go on the social housing waiting list or claim social security benefits.

Once you are employed you will be classed as an EEA worker in respect of housing you would have the benefits outlined under the heading on the following page entitled “Help with housing and benefits for EU workers

As to Job Seekers allowance you must pass a Habitual Residence Test to show that you Live here and also live her permanently. You will not be able to do this yet and must first build up a period of residence to show that you intend to remain here permanently. There is no fixed period of time that you must meet to qualify for this and every case is judged on it’s own merits. I would suggest that you give it at least two months and if you have not found work then go to see if you can claim.

You are of course entitled to NHS treatment for health issues.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Tom


I fully intend to find work but could do with assistance in the meantime. Its generally considered that th UK will give some kind of immediate financial support for Europeans wishing to settle. Reading your reply its obviously a misperception ?



Assume i dont find a job but i get a NI number and find accommodation where i get onto the electoral role , say this takes a month , will this suffice for the habitual test and allow me job seekers allowance ?






Hi Shaun,

I'm afraid that if you thought there was a fund to help EEA nationals settle in the UK then this is a mistake.

There is a system of benefits for job seekesr and housing to help people who are contributing to the UK, but there are tests for these.

There is no one factor which makes you pass the habitual residence test. You have to show that you live here and that you intend to remain here permanently. The best ways that you can do this is by 1) getting a job (most important - not for the jobseekers test though obviously) and 2) passing of time.

I would focus on finding work first. Once you have work if you do not have a permenant address then you should get on a housing waiting list by following the links of the above address.

If you are able to get a permenant address then there is no harm in attempting to apply for job seekesr allowance after a month, but you are not likely to be succcessful at this time though it cannot hurt to try.

If you do not find work and are running out of money then you should consider approaching charities for help. Perhaps the following may assist:-

The key is finding a job.

Please remember to rate my answer.

Thomas and 2 other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you