How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7602
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

hello i am Mrs Ohen and i would like to if i am untitled to

This answer was rated:

hello i am Mrs Ohen and i would like to if i am untitled to claim a British citizen because back in 2008 i had a conviction and i payed the penalty and they took 6 points to my permit.
when i went to be checked in 2010 they told me that i wasn't aloud to claim, but since last September i had my 6 points back so i want to know if i am clear now so that i can claim a British citizen could please tell me if you are able to check and tell me please?

Do you have Indefinite leave to remain?

What was the conviction?

Did it go to Court?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i have indefinite leave to remain since 2007 and the conviction was driving with out insurance in 2008


Did the matter go to Court?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes but i wasn't present at the court just receive the penalty fees to pay witch i have already payed since and also i have got my 6 points back since last september


Thanks for your patience.

If the matter was heard at Court then I’m afraid that the conviction will be regarded as a conviction for assessing your good character in term so of your eligibility to naturalise.

Please refer to the following link for confirmation of this:-

This means that you would have to wait until the conviction is considered “spent” under the rehabilitation of offenders act 1974. This means that it will be spent 5 years after the date of the conviction.

Once the conviction is older than 5 years you will be regarded as having “good character” for the purpose of applying for naturalisation and if you otherwise meet the eligibility criteria then you will be successful.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you