How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7602
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My solicitor carried out a conveyance for me on the purchase

This answer was rated:

My solicitor carried out a conveyance for me on the purchase of a farmhouse which had been seperated from a barn which was subsequently sold seperately to another party.

I have now discovered that the only access and driveway to the property was to both the barn and farmhouse and when the deeds were split the access was included with the barn. Consequently I purchased a property with no legal right of access to it off a private lane (owned by a neighbour). The seller had constructed a driveway for the farmhouse off an entrance to the adjacent field on green belt land without planning permission.

Do I have any recourse against my solicitor for failing to identify that my property had no legal right of access?

I have since sold the property and the purchaser is now suing me. It is only through this action against me that I have found out about the lack of access.

The property and barn benefited from a right of acess, this was the only way of accessing both properties. The barn has been sold and now has the right of access. There is no right of access for the property that you have retained.

There is a driveway which would otherwise give access, but there is no planning permission for this.

Your conveyancing solicitor did not make you aware of any of this.

Is this correct?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes Tom that is correct. Just to be clear - I didn't sell the barn and retain the house.


The seller of the house owned both properties and sold the house to me without any access.

Okay, so to be clear the Seller owned the barn and the house with a right of access.

The house has been sold to you with the access. You have now sold the house.


When replying can you please also state why the buyer is suing you?


Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The seller owned the house and barn with a single shared access.


The seller constructed a new access and driveway (without planning permission) for the house before selling it to me. The barn was sold by the seller with the original and, as I now know, the only legal access.


When I bought the house and when I subsequently sold it, at no time was it discovered that the house had no legal right of access. My buyer is now suing me for misrepresentation and breach of contract because I did not disclose the works for the new access and driveway when I sold it to him.



Thanks for your patience.

Of course, it’s difficult to be definitive without actually seeing the file for the sale to your or the file for the sale to the subsequent buyer.

However, it does sound on the facts that your original solicitor certainly has a case to answer. The file will confirm.

If it was apparent that the right of access was only afforded to the barn which was not being sold to you then the solicitor should have highlighted this to you and then contact the owner of the land which granted the right of access with a view to executing a further deed of easement giving the right of way to the house that was sold to you. This should have been done before completion really.

You need to get in contact with your original solicitor referring to the lack of right of way and that you are now being sued to establish whether this was reported to you (it seems not) and what was done by the solicitor in respect of securing a right of access (again, it seems not much was done successfully).

You are permitted to request a copy of your file. If the meeting with the solicitor does not go well then you should take it to another property litigation solicitor for a consultation with a view to issuing a claim against your original solicitor and defending the claim against you.

It sounds like a mess to be quite honest. The extent of the solicitors responsibility will become apparent once you have got a full copy of their file.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you