How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7615
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am 72 and solely own my house from my first marriage, the

This answer was rated:

I am 72 and solely own my house from my first marriage, the mortgage having been redeemed. My first wife died in 2005. I re-married in 2011 and my wife and I live in my house. My wife has always agreed that whilst this is her home the house should be left to my daughters. I wish to make a will leaving the house to my children and allow free occupancy to my wife for as long as she wishes.
What kind of will should I use and would this kind of arrangement stand in law?

Thanks for your patience.

You can do this but you should instruct a solicitor to prepare the Will for you.

You would effectively be stating that your children should inherit the property but subject to a “life interest” in favour of your wife. This would give her the right to remain in the property until she passes away. Usually these types of life interests are drafted in such a way so as to grant her the right but subject to 1) her remarrying or 2) her ceasing to live at the property.

They are quite common but because they are a bit more complicated than “my estate to my daughters” it really is something that you should get a solicitor to do rather than attempt to do a “D I Y” will and leaving it open to doubt and stress once you are gone.

It should cost you around £175-200+ Vat for a local solicitor to take your instructions, draft the Will and then attend your execution of it. They will probably also offer to store it for you so that it is available when you eventually do pass away.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you