How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7617
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What forms are required from land registry to add another person

This answer was rated:

What forms are required from land registry to add another person to the deeds. The mortgage is now paid off but there was only one name on the deeds. (The person whose name was on mortgage).

Thanks for your patience.

Firstly, you should consider taking legal advice before doing this. It is not something that can be done and the percentage of the property will be split between the persons named on the registered title after the transfer has been registered.

It also may not produce the CGT or IHT consequences that you think it might.

If you still wish to proceed in view of this then you can arrange it yourselves if you wish

You can download a copy of the register for your property from the land registry's search engine to find the title number :-
Enter the postcode for your property and if it is registered it will give you the option to download a copy of the register.

You will have to draft a Transfer (form TR1) from you/partner to your partner (which you will both have to sign as a deed (ie. witnessed) and you can download the template form from the land registry's website. You will have to submit this to the land registry with their form AP1, this is also downloadable from the website by selecting from the "Forms" tab:-
You will probably have some questions on completing the form but the land registry's customer support service are very helpful to lay persons. A fee will be required and you can also ask them about that.

You will both also have to download an ID1 form from the above for each of you. Complete this then take it to a solicitor to certify for £10 and submit this with your AP1 application.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Tom


I was under the impression TR1 is transferring the full title. I thought it had to be TP1. I knew about the ID form but was not aware of the AP1. Can you confirm whether the form is TR1 or TP1 please



Hi Elaine,

A TP1 is for when you only wish to sell part of the actual area of the registered title for a property. It's called a "Transfer of Part".

So, if a developer offers you some money for half of your garden then you would use a TP1 because you only intend to transfer part of the physical land.

If the physical land that you own is not going to be portioned off and sold to anyone else and it's simply the case that, for example, you wanted to transfer the entire registered title from (1) You to (2) you and your husband (together as joint owners) then you would use a TR1 form with you as "Transferor" and you and your husband as "Transferees".

I hope this clarifies, please rate my answer.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you