How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7609
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My ex partner and I have a flat on which the mortgage is in

This answer was rated:

My ex partner and I have a flat on which the mortgage is in both our names unfortunatly my ex partner is refusing to pay her half off the mortgage/bills neither of us live there but I do not earn enough to cover everything. I have informed everybody about the situation and bils have been reduced where they can be and the flat is up for sale is she in her right to do this and what can I do about it if not

Are their any children of the relationship?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.


Did you have any understanding that you would share the expenses of the property together?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

There is nothing in writing but the mortgage needed both of our wages to be able to buy the flat


Thanks for your patience.

The key thing is that the mortgage is paid. If arrears clock up then the lender is likely to take possession of the property and sell it as quickly as they can. This would likely be for less than the market value.

They would then sue you for the money and you would not be able to get a normal mortgage again. Your credit record would be ruined and this could both cost you a lot of money. She needs to know this and you both need to come to an agreement to see that the repayments are met.

The other bills are still important but they cannot lose you money in the same way repossession can. You will have to enter in to payment plans with them.

If there is no quick sale and things look dire then you should consider dropping the price.

If there was an understanding that you would share the costs of the mortgage and expenses then you can get a solicitor to write to her explaining this and that you will sue for monies that you pay on her behalf, or that you will seek her agreement or attempt to enforce in the absence of one, a greater share of the equity. Though, claiming a greater share of the equity is complicated and can involve litigation.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you