How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7617
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i inherited two houses in my fathers will one his brother has

This answer was rated:

i inherited two houses in my fathers will one his brother has lived in since about 1945 he has never paid any rent and refuses to vacate claiming he should have been provided for in my fathers will which he made about eight years before his death probate was granted 27th july 2012

Does he have a tenancy agreement or other agreement governing his occupation?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.



Thanks for your patience.

You cannot appeal a testator's will, it is their right to execute a will which reflects their wishes.

In the event of your parent's passing away and not providing for your brother then he would usually make claim against the estate under the Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependent) Act 1976. However, in order to be eligible to do so he must make the application within 6 months of the date of the grant of probate in the estate. This means that he is time-barred from making the application once you reach the 27th of the month. I would do nothing until that date.

If he issues by this time then you're going to have to litigate. If he doesn't then your position improves enourmously.

If he does not have a written agreement then he does not have many rights. He does have the right to receive reasonable written notice of eviction. “Reasonable” usually depends on the amount of time that they have occupied the property for. I would expect that 3 months notice would probably be sufficient in the circumstances.

If you serve the notice and he does not leave then you can evict him without a Court order (technically) and by instructing bailiffs. However, because the circumstances are quite complicated I would strongly advise instructing a solicitor to serve the notice on him and then apply for a Court Order in any event. Bailiffs can be instructed after you have the Order.

The letter would also effectively invite him to make the claim that he refers to, knowing that he is almost certainly time barried from doing so – effectively calling his bluff.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your reply. However,your reply refers to my brother. It is in fact my fathers brother, therefore my uncle that is in residence. Does this affect your reply.


No, the advice still stands unamended.

Please remember to rate my answer.

Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you