How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7609
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is it still possible for people on Tier 1 Visa to get mortgage

This answer was rated:

Is it still possible for people on Tier 1 Visa to get mortgage ? And if yes, which bank(s)?

Thanks for your patience.

There is nothing which legally restricts a bank from giving a mortgage offer to a person without Indefinite Leave to Remain, it’s entirely a matter for the lender’s own policy.

Most will not lend if you do not have ILR. If you propose to apply for a mortgage then you should really speak to a mortgage broker about this. They know the mortgage market better than anyone, including solicitors. You should explain from the outset that you require a mortgage offer from a lender for whom not having ILR is not a problem. State that if they are not aware of any then you will not proceed with them.

You will have to do some major shopping around, eventually you may find one. However, if it is not going to be a long until you get ILR then I would wait until then because the you will have a wider range of mortgage choice and rates.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you