How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7617
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can I Get the early repayment charge and Mortgage exit fee

This answer was rated:

Can I Get the early repayment charge and Mortgage exit fee returned from a mortgage that was redeemed 5 years ago

What would be the basis for you reclaiming this money?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Not knowing what the early repayment charge was


mis-sold mortgage on that basis


exit fee not as quoted


Can you clarify, do you mean that an exit fee was quoted in the mortgage offer but a different exit fee was actually charged upon redemption?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.


Do you dispute this at the time of redemption and , if so, what was the response?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No I did not dispute this at the time only now after all the press about this topic and others


Thanks for your patience.

Basically, you are probably be able to reclaim the monies but you will have to instruct a solicitor and get your claim running immediately. The reason for this is effectively it is a breach of contract and therefore the limitation act applies.

This means that if your claim is not issued within 6 years of the breach then the respondents will have a defence that you what time barred from claiming for breach of contract now.

Provided that you're able to show that is incorrect exit fee was charged then it should be reasonably straight forward to claim the money from the lender. You sure start collecting to supporting evidence relating to the house purchase and sale together with the mortgage and the redemption of the mortgage. You may consider contacting the solicitor that acted on your behalf in the sale of the house to get a copy of the files from them

If this is useful please kindly break my answer as okay service or above. If you do not that I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.

Kind regards.

Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you