How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7617
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My partner and I are in the process of buying a property together.

This answer was rated:

My partner and I are in the process of buying a property together. Our conveyancing solicitor has sent us a form "consent to Mortgage L26" which we are a little reluctant to sign. We are obtaining a mortgage from the Halifax and the mortgage is to be in my name only because my partner failed the credit rating and it was only myself who was able to get the mortgage. The concern is that he is paying the deposit of £38000, as well as an additional £10000 towards improvement costs. We will also both be wanting to contribute to the mortgage equally pro rata during its life. Our worry is that if God forbid something happens to me, or we split up, the will have no rights to the property and consequently loose his financial share. We did suggest signing a prenuptial agreement but our conveyancer advised that they are not worth the paper they are written on.

If relevant, I am in my late 40's and my partner late 50's and both have two children each. We are getting married in 6 months.

Grateful for any advise on how we can get around this problem.


Thanks for your patience.

If the mortgage is your name then the registered title will also only be in your name. No getting around this with a mortgage. So, technically you are the only legal owner of the property,

The reason that the lender requires your partner to sign the consent to mortgage is because your partner will be living at the property. This means that they have to get him to sign the form to acknowledge that their mortgage has priority over any interest which he may have. Effectively, that regardless of any money he is contributing that the mortgage lender has first call on the monies (but only up to the amount outstanding on the mortgage.

His option in terms of securing the money that he has contributed is by executing a declaration of trust, which is a deed sworn by you both in which you specify how the proceeds of sale of the property (ie. when it is eventually sold) are to be divided. This could take account of the actual individual monies paid by both of you by specifying that you have any x% interest in the equity (after the mortgage and he has y% (after the mortgage).

If you are unmarried then your estate would not pass to him. Therefore you should executed a Will to provide for this until you are married. Once married you should execute a further Will to confirm what you wish should happen to your estate.

The consent is simply about making sure that no-one can use the proceeds of sale of the house (when it is sold) without first paying off whatever remains on the mortgage. There is nothing sinister about this.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas and 2 other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you very much, your answer has certainly put our mind at rest over the Christmas period. Its just very frustrating that the Conveyancer was not able to allay our fears in the first place.


Wishing you a happy Christmas.


Hi Heather,

Thanks. No problem.

Obviously I don't have access to the specific documents to confirm but on the facts as you have stated this would appear to be the way forward.

You shold ask your conveyancer about it.

Please remember to rate my answer.

Merry Christmas!