How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask John Knox Your Own Question
John Knox
John Knox, Solicitor
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 1155
Experience:  Solicitor and Advocate
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
John Knox is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

hi there l had a drug conviction 17 years ago . and ive been

This answer was rated:

hi there l had a drug conviction 17 years ago . and ive been given a job in canada and lm being sponcered to come over can you advise me thanks alex.

I will do my best to help you with this.

My advice is that you should apply to the Police for a print out from the Police National Computer and see whether your conviction is recorded. If it is not, then do not declare your conviction when you go through your visa application.

If you contact the police station who dealt with your case, they will be able to help you with making a PNC access request.

If your conviction does show up, it would be advisable to declare it. Assuming the offence was not serious (possession rather than supply), it should not stop you from obtaining a visa, particularly given the time which has elapsed.

Any further queries, please ask.

Best wishes
John Knox and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you