How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7609
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

we have had harrasment off our next door neighbour for over

This answer was rated:

we have had harrasment off our next door neighbour for over four years he has accused us of making noises in our house that we are not doing, he has called the police on us and also banged on the walls untill he was told to stop, the last thing he has done was monday night when he stopped my husband in the street and said we were banging the cups down after we washed up he must also be watching our house because he knew how many take a ways we had in one week. can we take him to court over this.

Thanks for your patience.

On the face of it there does not appear to be any criminal act here so I doubt that the police will be interested beyond simply advising him to keep the peace.

You therefore have to consider the civil recourse available to you. In the case of harassment (or threats of physical violence) this would be by attempting to apply for a Non-Molestation Order. This is where you inform the court of the type of harassment that you have suffered from him and then, if convinced it is genuine harassment, the Court will make the order ordering him to cease the behaviour.

The order would last between (usually) 3-6 months and can be extended where the behaviour has not ceased. If he breaches the order then it’s a criminal offence punishable in the magistrates court.

I would suggest getting a solicitor to write a letter before action to him prior to making the order. It would outline the behaviour and chronology of it. It would state that you will apply for an order if the behaviour continues. The letter would cost around £50+VAT and if it doesn’t work then you would have to apply for a non-molestation order.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

thank you for your reply there is also one other thing he said to my husband monday night that if we did not stop the noise he would put a stop to it but it would not be him that did it but somebody else also every time he sees us he just stares at us.


Same thing, the police probably won't be interested but threats like that frequently form the basis for non-molestation orders.

Solicitors's letter, then apply to court.

Thanks for rating my answer.

Kind regards.