UK Law

Hi, I had a court conviction for "driving a motor vehicle…

Hi, I had a court conviction...

I had a court conviction for "driving a motor vehicle otherwise than in accordance with a licence" 3.5 years ago. It was written on my Counterpart Driving Licence with the Convicting court code, date of conviction, offence code, fine amount and penalty points which is 3.

I am planning to apply for ILR in a month's time with... Read full answer

I am planning to apply for ILR in a month's time with the same day service.

The reason of the conviction is as follows:

I drove to the driving test centre by my own and the driving instructor saw me parking by myself. Then I entered the driving test centre to start my driving examination. The instructor took me to the police and police fined me with 3 points and 120 pounds, and I immediately accepted it and paid. But still there was court conviction. My aim was to get a driving licence but I did not know that I had to come to the driving centre with a friend who has 3 years licence.

All the above information was already captured in the police report exactly same as above.

Will this conviction affect my ILR application?

Regards.
11/22/2012
UK_Lawyer
UK_Lawyer, Solicitor

Hi thank you for your question. Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE.

Could you confirm that you went to court and were convicted?

Kind regards

I did not physically go to court. But I received some documents from Richmond Court and filled out some details asking my income, whether I have a lawyer to represent me or not. In that form, the Case Number XXXXX Date of Hearing (9th Of August, 2009) was written as well.

Then I received a "Notice of fine and collection order" at 10th of August, 2009 which was £205.

I paid the fine immediately, but actually I am not sure whether this is a criminal conviction or not.

On my counterpart driving licence, the convicting court code and the other details are clearly written under Endorsements section.

This might be just a "Traffic conviction/court fine", not a criminal conviction, but I am not sure.

I have all the documents from the court and police; I scanned them as well and collected all of them in one pdf file.

If you want, I can send this pdf document to you so that you can examine.

But I do not know how to attach files within justanswer.com web site.

Regards,

Kemal.

Thank you for your reply.

The definition of a conviction is the outcome of a criminal prosecution which concludes in a judgment that the defendant is guilty of the crime charged. The juncture of a criminal proceeding during which the question of guilt is ascertained.

In a case where the perpetrator has been adjudged guilty and sentenced, a record of the summary proceedings brought pursuant to any penal statute before one or more justices of the peace or other properly authorized persons.

The terms conviction and convicted refer to the final judgment on a verdict of guilty, a plea of guilty, or a plea of nolo contendere. They do not include a final judgment that has been deleted by a pardon, set aside, reversed, or otherwise rendered inoperative.

So provided you did not attend court and please guilty or not guilty and only got served with a fine without the need to attend court then it would not be a criminal conviction, and you may apply for your ILR.

If you did attend court then the conviction must be spend before you submit your application for ILR:

http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/agencies-public-bodies/crb/about-crb/what-we-do/rehab-offenders-act-1974/

I hope this clarifies the matter if so kindly rate my answer positively so I can get credited for my time.

Kind regards

I did not physically go to court. But the court sent me documents which clearly shows the Case Number XXXXX Date of Hearing (9th Of August, 2009). Even if I did not attend to court, the court had made an action about my case at the date of hearing and sent a notice of fine and collection order.

In this case, because the court listened my case and had action even if I was not physically there, according to your definition, this appears to be a criminal offence/conviction. FYI, I accepted my guilt in writings while filling out the court form and because of that, I was fined by £205.

Am I misunderstanding? Do you still believe this is not a criminal conviction but just a court fine?

Thank you for your reply.

If you did plead guilty then yes it would be a criminal conviction for which you will need to wait until it is spent. You can find out when your conviction will be spent by using the link I provided in my previous answer.

Unfortunatley it seems that you will need to wait before submitting an application for ILR.

I hope this clarifies the matter, if so kindly rate my answer positively so I can get credited for my time.

Kind regards

UK_Lawyer
UK_Lawyer, Solicitor
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
I'm about applying for ILR but I'm worried a speeding ticket
I'm about applying for ILR but I'm worried a speeding ticket and fine I convicted of sometime in 2016 November will affect my application.I was doing a 60 mph and was caught by a temporary traffic lig… read more
JimLawyer
JimLawyer
Consultant Solicitor,
Graduate Diploma In Law (Advanced)
I have a problem today i got an lc20 i have no idea why i
i have a problem today i got an lc20 i have no idea why i was stopped because my handbreak failed and my car rolled down the road when it was parked … read more
Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law
Solicitor,
Bachelor of Laws (LLB)
I have a notice of intended prosecution letter asking me to
Hi ThomasI have a notice of intended prosecution letter asking me to identify the driver and send back the completed form.I was doing 62 mph on the motorway which was reduced to 50 miles due to road w… read more
Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge
Stop searching for answers—
I got a NIP from Metropolitan police. Filled in saying
I got a NIP from Metropolitan police. Filled in saying I am the driver and sent it bank in time. Then again I received conditional offer of fixed penalty which I accepted and sent my license to be end… read more
Jo C.
Jo C.
Barrister,
tt99 6 months disqualification from driving from the court
tt99 6 months disqualification from driving from the court and £400 fine this complete set granted due to not having third party insurance is this criminal offence how long shall take to be spent ali … read more
James Mather
James Mather
Hi i need help regarding a traffic offence i committed 9
Hi i need help regarding a traffic offence i committed 9 months ago when i was caught driving my company van with a learner licence and just to mention that in a while i passed my test and i got a lic… read more
Jo C.
Jo C.
Barrister,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
Hi yesterday evening I was going through a heavily congested
Hi yesterday evening I was going through a heavily congested city centre in birmingham and I crossed the first set of traffic lights when they were green and by the time I crossed the intersection in … read more
Alice H
Alice H
Solicitor of the Senior Courts,
Hi I was caught due to crosse red traffic light and actually
Hi I was caught due to crosse red traffic light and actually it was yellow but wen I become between the signals of two street it become red. at this time I was driving with international license which… read more
Jo C.
Jo C.
Barrister,
I am an international student a i have a UK driving Licence
I am an international student a i have a UK driving Licence and i exceed temporary speed limit - Motorway roadworks (Camera). The speed detected was 58 mph. The vehicle i use is not my own but i hired… read more
Alice H
Alice H
Solicitor of the Senior Courts,
hi i have been caught driving on the wrong side of the road
hi i have been caught driving on the wrong side of the road for few hundred yards by police and i am only a provisional licence holder this was on the 12 of November ,my court case ll be on the 4 th m… read more
Alice H
Alice H
Solicitor of the Senior Courts,
My 17 year old grandson Jordan was stopped by Traffic Police
My 17 year old grandson Jordan was stopped by Traffic Police on a residential estate in May 2012 (nearly 5 months ago) showing another young man his mini motorbike (45cc engine) that he had just built… read more
Jo C.
Jo C.
Barrister,
I have received a Notice of Intention of Prosecution about
I have received a Notice of Intention of Prosecution about driving through red light at a speed of 16 mph and as I drove pass it after the light being red for 5 seconds, they said it has to go to magi… read more
UK-Justice
UK-Justice
Stop searching for answers—
My husband was taken to court for drink and driving but was
My husband was taken to court for drink and driving but was not charged or banned in court due to the fact that his drinks were spiked at the party. The specialist proved that the time he was stopped … read more
Jo C.
Jo C.
Barrister,
I have been served a notice with of intended prosecution for
I have been served a notice with of intended prosecution for traveling at 46mph in a 30 mph zone. I have three previous speeding penalties on my licence but one is more than four years old so I imagin… read more
Jo C.
Jo C.
Barrister,
i have offence code 125.This is my 1st offence,im new driver.I
i have offence code 125.This is my 1st offence,i'm new driver.I just holding mobile phone for few sec,when i was waiting in traffic.today i was receivied my counterpart driving licence and they change… read more
Jo C.
Jo C.
Barrister,
I have two separate convictions for driving without licence.
I have two separate convictions for driving without licence. Was given two fines of £250 each. Subsequently got my licence and was given 3 points. Can this affect my application for ilr… read more
Jo C.
Jo C.
Barrister,
i was under the impression that my partner had a driving license
i was under the impression that my partner had a driving license as a result of this i got her insured on my vehicle on a provisional license. we were parked in a lay by and my parner was in the drive… read more
Jo C.
Jo C.
Barrister,
I have a full catagory A motorcycle licence on which i have
I have a full catagory A motorcycle licence on which i have 3 penalty points for speeding code sp30 i also have catagory B provisional car entitlement on my licence and have just passed my catagory B … read more
Jo C.
Jo C.
Barrister,