UK Law

I am signing as guarantor for my niece and am concerned at…

I am signing as guarantor...
I am signing as guarantor for my niece and am concerned at what I am being asked to sign: If I die during currency of agreement then my estate will be liable as surety; for any overpayments if rent paid by housing benefit I am liable for the amount of any claims and up to seven years afterwards.

Should I sign or ask for them to be deleted... Read full answer

Should I sign or ask for them to be deleted
11/21/2012
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Hi

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer. I will try to help with this. Please RATE my answer OK SERVICE or above.

What type of contract is it?

Guarantor agreement for tenancy for flat

James Mather

I have been asked to look at this for you. Is this the
landlord asking you to sign this? Who is it for?

The wording is standard and he is most unlikely to remove
anything because, if I was being asked, I would tell him not to remove anything.
However, it is his decision. He wants to make sure that he does not lose out in
the event that the tenant has missed declared when claiming housing benefit and
also if the tenant does not pay the rent.

Basically, you are at risk for the full tenancy period if
the tenant does not pay rent. There is usually no way out of it, so it could
cost you thousands of pounds, depending on the term of the tenancy and the
amount of the rent. If part of the rent is being paid by housing benefit, which
goes to the landlord and the tenant has over claimed and the housing benefit
people want it back, and the tenant does not have it, the landlord will not
give it to them or the landlord will give it to them and ask for the money from
the guarantor, you.

If you die, the money that you leaving your estate is at
risk once again, if the tenant does not
pay rent, the money will come out of what would normally have gone to your
beneficiaries.

The only way to guarantee that there is no claim made
against you or, if you die, your estate is for the tenant to be completely
honest, when claiming housing benefit and for the tenant to pay the rent on
time every time. Provided that happens when you have no problem and can sign
with impunity.

I imagine this is for a family member you trust implicitly.
But I have had literally hundreds of these over the years I have been a
solicitor, where the guarantor trusted the family member implicitly and the
family member simply let them down without second thought.

My advice to anyone being asked to go to guarantor is don't
do it. I accept that the tenant may not get the tenancy if they do get a
guarantor, but the only usual reason for asking for a guarantor is if the
tenant has bad credit history. Although some circumstances are tragic, or
unfortunate and circumstantial, most bad credit history is because the person
with the bad history does not have a good history of paying. That told you lot
as to whether you should do this.

I appreciate that this is not the answer you wanted and I
have probably exaggerated to prove the point, but you are pot at financial risk
by signing this.

Can I help further?

Please do not forget to rate my answer positively because I
have not been paid for my advice until you do.. It is really important that you
rate my answer positively. It does not close the thread which remains open for
us to continue this exchange. If you wish. Thank you.

Hello

Thanks for the response, just a further question the housing benefit and guarantor dieing are in two separate clauses, I have given the death one below, does it mean that even though I have died that if the agreement is still in place that my estate continues to be liaible even if the debt is accrued after I die?

1. The Guarantor shall pay and make good to the Landlord on demand all losses, damages, costs and expenses of the Landlord arising from or incurred as a result of any default by the Tenant in the performance or observance of the Tenant’s covenants under the Tenancy Agreement. Any failure of the Landlord in demanding or collecting the Rent when it falls due, and any time to pay which may be given to the Tenant by the Landlord shall not release or exonerate the Guarantor or in any way effect the liability of the Guarantor under this agreement. Should the Guarantor die during the currency of this agreement, the Guarantor’s estate will be liable as surety and co-principal debtor.

Kay

It basically says that it makes no difference whether you are
dead or alive!

There is one stipulation that you do want in there and that
is that this guarantee only extends to the extent of the initial tenancy and
not any renewal tenancy or holding over (extension).

Otherwise, it can come to the end of the term, the tenant
can sit tight pay no rent and the landlord has no interest in getting the tenant
out because the landlord can sue you for the rent.

Hello

Last question - he has also put an exclusion regarding cancellation, as below in but not sure why?

1. It is agreed that there shall be no right to cancel this Agreement once the tenancy has begun and the Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) Regulations 2000 shall not apply in this case.

Excellent service and thanks for the honesty, much appreciated

Under the Distance Selling Regulations, if you have not been
in the office to sign this but they sent it in the post, email, whatever, you
have seven days to cancel after signing it.

What he is saying basically is that if you have been sent
this and signed it and the tenant has moved in, you cannot cancel it within the
seven day statutory period.

rate my answer positively.

James Mather
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
Jo I have have been guarantor on my mother's rented house years. Unfortun
Hi Jo I have have been guarantor on my mother's rented house for 3 years. Unfortunately she has taken ill and so the last 3 months rent has been unpaid. I have helped I the past to settle arrears and … read more
Jo C.
Jo C.
Barrister,
i live in a private rented accommodation, my housing benefit
i live in a private rented accommodation, my housing benefit was terminated and I have been advised that in order to qualify for social housing I need to be evicted by my landlord otherwise I will be … read more
Thomas
Thomas
Lawyer,
My son has an assured shorthold tenancy agreement with 4 other
My son has an assured shorthold tenancy agreement with 4 other students which runs out in July 2012. One of the tenants has not paid his rent, he is out of the country and the landlord is unable to co… read more
Jo C.
Jo C.
Barrister,
Stop searching for answers—
Me and my housemate have been served court papers due to one
Me and my housemate have been served court papers due to one of our ex-housemates dissapearing and not paying his rent. Each of us is being asked for £400, money we don't really have. If worse comes t… read more
Buachaill
Buachaill
Barrister,
I signed a guarantors agreement for my daughters property in
I signed a guarantors agreement for my daughters property in 2009. I was informed by the company on 25th January 20012 that there was an outstanding balance of £3,275.00. The casae had been to court o… read more
Jo C.
Jo C.
Barrister,
a) I started seeing a girl seven years ago, I sold my large
a) I started seeing a girl seven years ago, I sold my large house and lived with her at a property she was renting during 2004 for approximately 1 year. I am no longer with her having split up several… read more
UK-Justice
UK-Justice
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
I have guaranteed a tenancy with my neice. She has vacated
I have guaranteed a tenancy with my neice. She has vacated the ptoperty but the landlord claims she did damage to the premises. He withheld her £2500 deposit and is now claiming a further £5000. He ha… read more
Joshua
Joshua
Lawyer,
LL.B (Hons), Prof. Dip. Law & Pract
I have my house in ramsgate in kent rented out through a letting
I have my house in ramsgate in kent rented out through a letting agent and the tenant has paid no rent now for 2months which has left me financially broke and im going to end losing my house as i cann… read more
Joshua
Joshua
Lawyer,
LL.B (Hons), Prof. Dip. Law & Pract
I have been asked to sign a tenant gaurantee for my daughter
I have been asked to sign a tenant gaurantee for my daughter as she has entered an assured shorthold tenancy agreement with a landlord. Do you have any advice on dos and don'ts or a standard text whic… read more
Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge
i signed a guarantee on a tenancy agreement.The tenants are
i signed a guarantee on a tenancy agreement.The tenants are a month in arrears. If i want to stop guaranteeing/ determine my liability what can i do? Tenants are on housing ben paif by council direct … read more
Thomas
Thomas
Lawyer,
Hi, My daughter is going to be given 280,000 to purchase a
Hi, My daughter is going to be given £280,000 to purchase a house by my father-in-law and she will look after them in this house untill they pass away, are they liable to any kind of gift tax?… read more
Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge
I agreed to be guarantor for my niece and her partner (who
I agreed to be guarantor for my niece and her partner (who have 2 young children) so they could rent a house. They have recently split up and my niece has approached Social Security for assistance wit… read more
Jo C.
Jo C.
Barrister,
Stop searching for answers—
My partner has recently been asked to go guarantor on a privately
My partner has recently been asked to go guarantor on a privately rented property for his sister, which i am concerned with! Would u be able to explain to me what excatly he would be liable for if the… read more
Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge
i am a guarator of a business loan to a business firm.the firm
i am a guarator of a business loan to a business firm.the firm has gone in to liqidation.now the lending bank has asked me to pay the outstanding amount. i have given legal charges of two commercial p… read more
DR Lawyer
DR Lawyer
BA (HONS) Pgdl Pgdlp
I signed an agreement to guarantee the rent of the student
I signed an agreement to guarantee the rent of the student private rented house for my daughter in London. The landlady is suing me for damages caused to the property by other joint tenants. If I have… read more
DR Lawyer
DR Lawyer
BA (HONS) Pgdl Pgdlp
I have signed my mother in laws tenancy agreement guarunteeing
I have signed my mother in laws tenancy agreement guarunteeing payment.Sadly,she is very ill.Should she die,am I still liable for the rent fot the remainder of the tenancy?(English law)… read more
F E Smith
F E Smith
We signed guarantor for the rent on my sister in laws flat.
We signed guarantor for the rent on my sister in laws flat. The agreement was for six months. Unbeknown to us she signed for a further six months and then left the country. Am I still liable for the r… read more
A. Stewart
A. Stewart
We signed a 6 month tenancy agreement to be guarantors for
We signed a 6 month tenancy agreement to be guarantors for ex daughtrt-in law's house rental. We paid her rent but she did not(despite receiving housing benefit ) reemburse the costs in full,as she ha… read more
Tom Denning
Tom Denning
Trainee Solicitor,