How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7617
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, my wife had to sign a "deed of consent and postponement

This answer was rated:

Hi, my wife had to sign a "deed of consent and postponement by non owner occupier" when I tool out a mortgage for our home. I now want to make a will a leave the property to her as it will be paid from life insurance or pension etc. How do I word the will so as to revoke the deed she signed?

Thanks for your patience.

The deed that you refer to is for the lender’s benefit. They require a non-owning occupier to sign this as an acknowledgement that the lender’s legal charge is the first priority (ie. the first call) on the equity in the property.

It will not make a difference to the Will that you propose to make, which is to say that if you make a Will leaving the property to your wife then she will inherit it upon your death regardless of the fact that she has signed the Deed because the mortgage will be paid by your life insurance or otherwise.

If you life insurance does not cover the mortgage then she can inherit the property but subject to the lender’s charge so that if the property is sold the charge will still have to be paid off.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas and 2 other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you