How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7617
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am an Americam national on a student visa which runs out

This answer was rated:

I am an Americam national on a student visa which runs out in Jan. I wish to marry a uk national and also gain employment to support myself. If this is not possible my fiance could sponser me. What are all the rules covering this and how much would it cost for him to sponser me

What level of income (per annumm) does your fiance have please?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

he is presently looking for employment and doesnt know how much pa he should have or how much savings he needs


Thanks for your patience.

You can switch to a spouse visa once you are married but there is a bit of a problem for you in respect of the financial requirement at the moment.

You will need to apply for a spouses visa (ie. Settlement),

If the application is well prepared and you meet the following eligibility criteria then it will make the application easy and quick to decide upon for the UKBA. To be eligible, you must show:-

• 1. That you are legally married to each other
• 2. You are present and settled in the UK
• 3. You intend to live permanently together here in the UK as husband and wife
• 4. You can support each other without the need for public funds
• 5. You have suitable accommodation which is owned or lived in only by you or your household and where you and your dependents can live without any help from public funds
• Generally the UK based spouse must earn a minimum income threshold of £18,600, but the figure is increased if children are coming to £22,400 for one child and an additional £2,400 for each further child. More info on how you can meet this requirement here:-
You have to produce to the UKBA documentation that proves the above. This would be some of the following:-
• Bank statements from both you and your spouse going back 6 months showing the income/capital you have available
• Payslips (6 month of) and a letter from any employer stating that your spouse has a permanent job )when they do), contract of employment
• Documentary evidence of any other assets you hold (eg. Shares, evidence of ISAs or bonds)
• Marriage certificate, Birth Certificate, passport
• Evidence of correspondence between you and your fiance showing that the relationship is credible and genuine (eg. Emails, letters, evidence of previous trips, photos showing you together, phone records
• Evidence of the accommodation where you will live (ie. land registry officials copies of the property that you own, mortgage documentation, copy tenancy agreement if you rent, council tax statements, house report by a solicitor, letter from landlord confirm he is happy to give you a further tenancy agreement

Further information here:-

Your spouse needs to get a job above then income level, or find another way of meeting the criteria the guidance.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

what is the criteria to meet if he doesnt have a job

There isn’t any other separate criteria. He either meets the financial criteria, or he doesn’t I’m afraid.

The threshold was only brought in in July, so it’s very new. Chances are that it will be found to be unlawful in a year or so, but at present if you do not meet the criteria then you won’t get a visa.

They need to find a job to meet the salary level unfortunately.

I’m very sorry.

Please remember to rate my answer.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you