How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7609
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

can a person who is making malicious gossip about another person

This answer was rated:

can a person who is making malicious gossip about another person be stopped by a solicitors letter or by a court order

Thanks for your patience.

The legal recourse available here would be a defamation action against the person. If the gossip is untrue, causes damage and is communicated to a third party then it’s defamatory which, means that a person can sue the gossiper.

However, there is no legal aid for defamation and so the costs are quite prohibitive (ie. tens of thousands of pounds). Therefore, the affordable recourse to most people is simply a solicitors letter asking the person to cease such communications.

If it works, great.

If not, it’s either put up with it or commence a legal action, which is costly.

Rightly or wrongly, that’s the position.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you