UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

UK Law

Hi, We are a small family run sunbed shop a hairdressers in

the same small village have...
Hi, We are a small family run sunbed shop a hairdressers in the same small village have recently hired sunbeds and are charging ridiculously low prices that we could never match to take our customers is there anything we can do at all to stop this ?
10/5/2012
Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer

Thanks for your question.

There is nothing you can do in terms of being able to get them to charge a lower price. It's a free market, business are entitled to charge whatever price they wish.

If there are any licences required to do this (which I am sure you would be aware of) then you should contact the licensing authority to check if they have a licence and report them if they don't.

Apart from that your only option would be to see if their landlord is aware they are using a sunbed and whether he consents to this. If he doesn't, for example if there is a clause in their lease which states that they properety must only be used as a hairdressers, then he may seek to enforce this against them but it is entirely up to the landlord - you cannot legally compel him to do this.

If the lease they have is greater than 7 years in length then it may be regisetred against the freehold title to the property. You can check the freehold/leasehold title here:-
http://eservices.landregistry.gov.uk/www/wps/portal/!ut/p/b1/04_Sj9CPykssy0xPLMnMz0vMAfGjzOKNjSxMDA1NjDwsjM3MDTxN3dyNDUNMjQ1MjPWDU_P0C7IdFQG9k5Tz/

If you get the leasehold title register then the land registry may hold a copy of the Lease, which you can order to check the permitted use of the property under the lease.

I believe also that the Town and Country Planning Use Class for sunbeds is that same as that for hairdressers and so it is unlikely that there is a breach of planning here either.

Sorry it could not be better news.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Tom

Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Thomas
Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer