How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7620
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

can i sell myhouse to my son then rent it back from him

This answer was rated:

can i sell myhouse to my son then rent it back from him

What is the objective behind this please? Is it to avoid care home fees?

Is there a mortgage on the property?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

there is no mortgage on the property and the reason i want to sell is two release money and to avoid care home fees


Do you have a condition now that means it more likely that you would require care?

Is there an expectancy that you woudl require care?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

no....i dont expect to need care but who knows what the future holds. i also dont want to leave this property hence the reason for not selling on the open market...



Woudl he pay market value for the property?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

yes....he would pay market value and i would pay market value rent.


Thanks for your patience.

There would be nothing preventing you doing this. If he paid market value for the property then the care homes would not be able to claim it back. I would get a few valuations to ensure that the amount your son pays is undeniably market value and so the care home (if any) would be discouraged from attempt to claim that it was transferred at less than market value.

If you son is buying the property with a mortgage then he should get a buy to let mortgage obviously, which would require that you are granted tenancies for no longer than 6 or 12 months at a time.
If your son is a cash buyer then he can grant you whichever tenancy he likes though.
Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you