How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7617
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Ive got a friend that need some advise. Her ex boyfriend that

This answer was rated:

I’ve got a friend that need some advise. Her ex boyfriend that lived with her in her house is now after 12 months apart, wanting half of her house. He didn't pay anything in to it when she brought it and neither while he lived with her. I think he lived in the house with her for about 4 years is he initialed to anything?

Thanks for your question.

Did he contribute more in rent/mortgage repayments than he otherwise would have paid if she was living in her own private rented accommodation?

Did he make capital repayments to pay off significant sums of the mortgage?

Did he pay for/carry out significant improvements to the property which improved the value of the property?

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

as far as she as told me he paid towards nothing in rent or help with the mortgage. but he did help with food and basic living cost nothing towards the house. no i dont think he did any improvements. as im doing it up at the moment and i cant see were he might of been.


Are there any children of the relationship and, if so, who has residence of them?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

no children.


he has some i think with some one else but dont live with him.


Thanks for your patience.

The position is that where a person is not named on the registered title to a property then you can generally only claim an interest in the property if you have made either a capital contribution to it (ie. financing the purchase or pay for significant works which materially increase the value of the property) or have maintained the mortgage payments/paid rent or bills/food to a total that is more than you would otherwise have paid in private rented accommodation in the area.
Provided has not contributed more money in payment for food than he would have otherwise paid in private rented accommodation for rent/bills/food and has not make improvements to the property which increases it’s market value then he would not be advised to make a claim against the property

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you