How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7609
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, I have a large garden at the rear of my house with a quiet

This answer was rated:

Hi, I have a large garden at the rear of my house with a quiet lane at the rear of the property. One of my family wishes to take half of the garden to build on. What is the most cost effective way to make this sale legal? and can it be done without a solicitor?

Thanks for your patience.

If you have a mortgage on your property then you will not be able to do this without a solicitor because your lender will insist that a solicitor acts to ensure that there charge remains registered against your property title following the transfer.

I would speak again to your lender and state that you propose to sell a portion of the land if they are willing to give their consent to the sale. Ask if in the first instance they require you, or your solicitor to write to them. They may be willing to consider the sale on the basis of plans that you provide them so that you can get provisional consent from them subject contract (ie. The Land Registry Transfer).

If they are not willing to discuss without hearing from a solicitor then you should instruct one.

The solicitor will draft the Land Registry Transfer of Part (Form TP1) and will then correspond with the family member or their solicitor. They will at the same time seek the express consent of your lender so that the transfer can be registered at the Land Registry post-completion.

The best way to make it cost effective is simply to get as many quotes from local conveyancing solicitors and go with the cheapest. I would suggest a template email sent to the relevant addresses that they give you following your initial correspondence with the lender.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you