How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7602
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi Immigration Lawyer, I will be eligible for an ILR on

This answer was rated:

Hi Immigration Lawyer,

I will be eligible for an ILR on April 1st, 2013. I will be completing 5 years of stay in the UK on this date. I have travelled outside UK for 189 days over this five year period. My maxium stay outside UK for a single travel was 15 days. Out of the 189 days, I have travelled for 120 days on business and 69 days on holiday/vacation.

Will this 189 days of travel outside UK impact my ILR?



Thanks for your question.

Generally, in practice I have found the threshold to be that if there are 180 days outside the UK within the 5 year period OR more than 90 days outside the UK in any one single trip then the UKBA will reject the application unless acceptable mitigation is provided.

You can ask for the time spent outside the UK solely on work to be written off but you have to prove that the time outside the UK for work was solely on work grounds and there was no other reasons for you to be outside the UK.

If you provide documentary evidence showing the work absences and submit a statemnt confirming them then you shoudl still be okay.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you