How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7602
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, my girlfriend refuses to move out of my home. The house

This answer was rated:

Hi, my girlfriend refuses to move out of my home. The house is owned by me and we have no children together. Is there something I can do legally to force her out of my home?
Any advice would be gratefully recieved.
Thank you

Have I answered a question from you before?

Does she have a written agreement governing her occupation?

Do you own or rent the property?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
There is no written agreement and I own the property solely.
Hi Rob

Thanks for your patience.

If you are not married then she does not have many rights in terms of her eviction. The one right she does have is to receive reasonable written notice of her eviction.

Therefore you should serve her written notice explaining that you are giving her notice of eviction and that he eviction date is, say, one month from the date of the letter giving her notice of eviction.

Once the notice has expired you can simply wait until she is out of the property and change the locks.

If you do not give her written notice and you change the locks or remove her from the property then you run the risk that she could sue you for an illegal eviction and recover damages from her.

When you change the locks I would contact the local police and confirm what you are doing.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you