How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7609
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

if i had a drug conviction in 1996 would that affect my entry

This answer was rated:

if i had a drug conviction in 1996 would that affect my entry to the usa?

What was the conviction and what sentence did you receive?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

possesion with intent and supply of amphetamines, convicted 4 months for each offence that ran concurrant

What kind of quantity are we talking about please?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

about 15 grams


Thanks for your patience.

The ukba has a general ground to refuse all visas under Immigration Rule 320(18) to refuse any applications of this type if the person has been convicted of a crime which, if convicted in the UK, would be sentenced to 12 months or more custodially (ie. in prison).

The rules on sentencing are complicated and there are lots of balancing factors. Yours appears on the face of it to be very much borderline. The downside of it is that it is potentially sentenceable greater than 12 months. The upside is that it is a long time ago.

You would have to mitigate the offence by providing your own personal statement of you rehabilitation and continued good behaviour and also provide character references. You should instruct a UK based solicitor to do this for you. By doing this I would say you have a good chance of getting a visa, if you don’t then I would put your chances at 50:50 even if you prepare your application well.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

but the combined sentance was only 8 months max?


It doesn't matter. It's considered on the basis of if the crime had been committed in the UK. It's irrelevant of where the crime is actually committed.

Please rate my answer.

Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you