How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7617
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi! 1. I am a temporary resident in the U.K. and intend

This answer was rated:


1. I am a temporary resident in the U.K. and intend getting married to a Believian student living in the UK. How does the law affect me?

2. What if I make my application as a fiancee what is the prospect?
Thanks for your question/n .

For clarity and the avoidance of doubt, could you please respond to the following USING THE SAME NUMBERING:-
1. What nationality are you
2. What visa do you hold
Kind regards.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I am a Nigerian and a post study tier1 resident


Thanks for your patience.

I assume for the purpose of your question that your fiancée is a non-EEA member state national here on a Tier 4 visa.

The quickest way for you to get ILR is to switch in to a Tier 2 Sponsored Skilled Worker Visa from your current category, if you can.

If you cannot then you can switch to be a depedent of your student wife only once you are married. You cannot switch on the basis that you are a fiancé and will get married in the future.

Further you can only switch if the course she is studying is at NQF level 7 or above and lasts for longer than 12 months. If this is the case then you can apply to switch once you are married but I would think that if ILR is the ultimate aim then it would be worth investigating whether you can swtich to that category rather than become a dependent, but at least you have this option.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I asked my question based on the fact that people from Belize are not subject to visa control in the U.K. Now, I am clear on the need to get married before making an application.


With regards XXXXX XXXXX an E.U national, one gets a

5-year visa, what is the rule with a Belivian national?


I'm afraid that nationals of Belize are subject to immigration control. They do require visas to be in the UK because they are not part of the EEA:-

They do not require a visa to come for a short visit (6 months or less) but anything longer than that they do.

Therefore my answer above is correct. You will have to either get a Tier 2 visa or switch to a student dependent.

I have to go out for the day now, I will be back on line after 6 to answer any replies you might have.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for making it clearer. I appreciate.