UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

UK Law

Will I be able to get in to the UK on a student visa with a

conviction? It was for possession...
Will I be able to get in to the UK on a student visa with a conviction? It was for possession, minor, but my case was just heard today and I have already begun to travel to the UK.
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/3/2012
UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor

It depends on the UK Border Agency, so no yes or no answer. You may wish to declare the conviction to them.

All the best
I'm sorry but I think I'm going to need a little more assistance than that. I'm in Europe at the moment, my possession charge was minor and I did not apply for a visa before I left. Will I be turned away at the border? What is the best course of action for me to ensure that I have the best chance of getting in to the UK?
Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Hi

Thanks for your patience.

If you are a national of a country which operates a visa waiver program with the UK so that you do not need to apply for a visa before you travel then you would be asked upon arrival whether you have any convictions. If you do not disclose the offence and they are aware of it then you would be refused entry and returned home. They would then refuse any further visa applications you made unless they were based on a family relationship where human rights apply.

The best course of action would be to disclose the offence. You can do this under the visa waiver program if you are asked. If you are not asked then you are fine.

If you disclose it then the UKBA may reject you. If I were you that would be too much of a risk to take and therefore I would apply for a visa to the UK before I travel. In the visa application forms I would disclose the offence and mitigate it by submitting a sworn statement confirming the offence explaining any understabndable reasons behind it, perhaps you were stressed/under pressure/not yourself. Give details of any rehabilitation and also get persons of authority to submit a number of character references.

If you do this you would have a much better chance of getting in.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Tom
Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Thank you very much Tom. I am from Australia, so just to clarify, declare if they ask and provide a sworn statement. Is there anything else that will improve my chances? Many thanks

Declare if you are entering under the visa waiver program, which they probably will.

If not entering under the VWP and applying before travel then disclose on the forms (where you are certainly asked) and mitigate it by swearing a statement and getting character reference.

Please remember to rate my answer.

Kind regards,

Tom
Thomas
Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer