How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7617
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

hi thanks for your replies. What if i still have the newspaper

This answer was rated:

hi thanks for your replies. What if i still have the newspaper saying its for long term lease? we went for the property because of the long term advertisement.

Thanks for your question.

An advertisement does not constitute an offer under contract law. It is called an “invitation to treat”, which is basically a precontractual statement which is then followed by one party making an offer to the other to either accept or reject. It is not in itself legally binding.

If you wished to give legal effect to a long term tenancy as a result of the advert then you should have insisted on the length of the term of the tenancy being longer when you met with the landlord after seeing the advert. Because you agreed a shorter length this is what you are both legally bound to I’m afraid.

The advert is not going to be sufficient either to defend an application for an order for possession by the landlord after he has served you notice or to compel him to offer him the terms you want. He will either agree to the terms you want or her won’t, the advert won’t make a difference.

I’m sorry this is not the news you wanted to hear, but it’s better that you honestly appreciate the situation rather than potentially expose yourself to liability by relying on incorrect information.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you