How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7602
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Tier 2 General or ICT? Dear Solicitor, SITUATION: My

This answer was rated:

Tier 2 General or ICT?

Dear Solicitor,

SITUATION: My current employer is planning to relocate me and my family to their branch in London with a view to offer me a permanent position there. Because Tier 2 ICT holders are no longer eligible for settlement route and need to leave UK due to the new cooling-off period, this visa type is a complete non-starter. My employer is an A rated sponsor with authority to issue both General and ICT CoS.

QUESTION: If I apply for Tier 2 General visa category, will it be refused on the grounds that I am being sponsored by my current employer - regardless of the employer's intent to keep me there permanently? Put differently, are multi-national companies only allowed to apply for ICT visas to relocate their existing employees to UK, or, given the intention to keep me in UK for a long period on a permanent basis, General visa category application will still be accepted (as clearly ICT is too restrictive for what my employer needs)?

Thank you kindly for your enlightening advice!!

How long will you be placed in the UK please?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
More than 6 years with a view to permanent settlement

Thanks for your reply.

The first difficulty is to persuade the UKBA that an ICT is not appropriate. This will turn on whether or not they accept that your company requires you in the UK for a period longer than three years since long term staff on ICT are subject to this maximum time length:-

Your employer would have to be heavily involved in the application by providing appropriate supporting documentation to show that the length of time required is longer than this from a business need perspective.

The second difficulty is in respect of eligibility for a Tier 2 sponsored skilled worker visa. In order to apply you must either by on the jobs in shortage occupation list, or provide evidence that they have carried out the Resident Labour Force test to show that there is no member of the existing UK workforce that can be employed to do the job at the salary offered. I presume the job is not on the list and so therefore the test would have to be carried out.

This would be difficult because the job would have to be offered in Jobcentre plus and then shown that no suitable candidates were available. If there are genuinely no other candidates then my view is that you are not excluded from applying under this visa category if you can show that you are genuinely required there for that length of time.

I would say that if time is a pressure then I would apply under the ICT. If you meet the above and have time and money then you could attempt to apply under the Tier 2 sponsored Skilled worker category, but the UKBA may take the view that in three years you should be able to train another employee who is part of the resident labour force to take over the job.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas and 2 other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you