How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7602
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Dear Sir/Madam, May i ask about legal services provided?

This answer was rated:

Dear Sir/Madam,

May i ask about legal services provided? Does any legal service to help me to issue a legal document to avoid another person to make some mistatements or statements or speaking not based on facts and truth for disadvantage and adversely affect my reputation? As i need this service to avoid a person affects my reputation. Thank a lot.

Could you explain a little more about the practical circumstances which prompted this question please?

Kind regards

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ok, I and a person live in a student hall. I am a PhD student, also an advisor of a professional body and working in a renowned firm in Hong Kong. What is more, I have written many articles in Hong Kong newspapers. In one situation around one month ago, i shared my view about the fact that China needs to improve it's political system. Otherwise, the china cannot grow sustainably and attract many talents to go there and so on. Based on the freedom of speech, i can share my view. What is more, i came from Hong Kong. So, I always respect the legal system. He seems did not like my view. Later one month, he sometimes shouts to me or ask me several times "is Hong Kong a part of China?" Furthermore, we are the same class of a course. When i expressed my view in other topics to a teacher in the class, he asked loudly me "Is Hong Kong a part of China?" so as to stop me express my opinion in other topics. Obviously, he deters me to have a freedom of speech. After Several times, i felt very nervous and uncomfortable and I have not slept for several days. He also told others I am a bad guy as I heard my one of my friends. What is more, in once situation, even I said good mornings with his girlfriend. He just told others including my friends I should have motivation. I think his words are to affect my reputation. I hope he can stop these types of action only. So, can I have a legal document to stop his intervention in my living and a bit affect my reputation as I need to take drugs to sleep at night? Thank.

This is a UK category.

There is no equivalent category for your enquiry, do you wish for me to request a refund?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
but he and i am studying at uk now, and all above things happened in uk. it should govern under uk laws. am i right? can i apply any documents to deter this happened in uk?
I mean a libel action.

Thanks for your question.

People are free to say what they like to other people provided that what they say must not be defamatory. In order to be defamatory (ie. Libel or slander), it must:-
1. Be a false statement
2. Communicated publicly (ie. To another person other than the defamor and the defamed
3. Cause damage to the person who is defamed.
Therefore, if you can prove what the person is saying is untrue then you meet the first criteria if they are saying it to others then you meet the second criteria.

You must then show financial loss as a result of other people hearing this in order to meet the third criteria. The reality is that actions for defamation costs tens of thousands of pounds and if you lose you could incur fees of the same again. There is no legal aid for this so it tends to be a recourse for only very wealth people.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
follow up your reply. Lastly, can i request a lawyer to write a document to deter any similar libel or slander action in the furture? I am not to intent to sue him but want to protect myself from his similiar libel actions in future. Can i do that? I think it is my last question. thank.

You can instruct a solicitor to write a letter warning that you consder such statement to be defamatory and that further incidences will result in you issuing proceedings. This sometimes help, but a cursory check of the application of defamation laws in the UK will reveal that they require significant finance to action and run.

You can't control what people say, so you can't protect yourself in an anticipatory sense. Your recourse is either to put up with it, write solicitor's letters or issue and pay tens of thousands of pounds.

It's not fair, but there you are.

Please remember to rate my answer.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thank. If i just request to write a warning letter, that means i don't need to pay a large amount litgation fees. am i right?

Yes, a solicitors letter warning of the consequences would cost around £40+VAT.

Please rate my answer.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok, can you offer this service?
No, it's not allowed under the terms of the site.

Any high street firm will be able to do it for you.

Please rate my answer.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you