How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7602
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i plan to marry in tunisia to a tunisian man will my marriage

This answer was rated:

i plan to marry in tunisia to a tunisian man will my marriage be recognised in uk law

Thanks for your question.

Provided that you are legally free to marry eachother, which is to say that you are not related to eachother and have the mental capacity to understand what you are doing then it can be legal.

Foreign marriages are recognised as being legally binding in the UK if the marriage was regarded as legally valid according to the actual country where the marriage takes place. So, if the marriage in Tunisia is carried out according to the law in Tunisia then the marriage certificate that you obtain will be regarded as legally binding in the UK.

Thus, for the purpose of UK law you will be considered to be a married couple.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas and 2 other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you