Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

I lived in the UK and worked in the UK and have a social security

I lived in the UK and worked in the UK and have a social security number. I am 63 years of age and presently live in South Africa (widowed). I am a Poruguese citizen - dual citizenship (South African and Portuguese). I would like to know if I am allowed to go back and live in the Uk - Thank you
Hi

Thanks for your question.

If you hold a Portugese passport then you are a Portugese citizen, this means that you are an EEA member state national. Therefore you are permitted to enter the UK by producing this passport.

You are allowed to stay in the UK in order to exercise your treaty rights, which means by either working, studying or otherwise being self-sufficient and not a burden upon the state.

So, yes, you are allowed to enter and remain in the UK subject to the above.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Tom
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
What I really wanted to know is if I could live there and receive a British Pension based on the fact that I worked there in the past and was given privileges such as voting, etc. as I was married to a British citizen. I am 63 years of age.

How many years did you work in the UK?

Tom
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
2 years

You will not be able to claim a state pension I' afraid. In order to qualify for a state pension you must have been working and making national insurance contributions for a period of 30 years.

I'm afraid that if you did come to the UK you would not be able to claim this benefit.

I am sorry that this is not the answer that you wanted, but I would be grateful if you would rate my answer accordingly to it's accuracy rather than your opinion on whether it is fair or not.

Kind regards,

TOm