UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

UK Law

my daughter and i had just got out of hospital after watching…

my daughter and i had...
my daughter and i had just got out of hospital after watching her fight for her life three times in the past two days i was a wreck. I needed to get some monies from my safe hidden up my mothers loft, where my partner lives. The safe had disappeared and my family were all looking for it. I phoned my partner to ask if he knew where it was he said no its up your house your always putting things in different places. Because my daughter was getting distressed we went home. I didnt sleep all night because of worry how i would pay the bills. the next afternnon I rang my partner who told me he had taken it and it is now somewhere else in the loft. he said he was being honest and i should be happy with that. two days later he says that he done it to teach me a lesson because if it was a boyfriend from the past they wouldnt give it back. he tells me that it is not worth talking about and i should forget it. But I cant. Is this wrong ? Has he been acting in a criminal way ?
7/1/2012
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Hi

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer. I will try to help with this. Please RATE my answer OK SERVICE or above.

If its just that he has moved the safe but it is still somewhere within your reach and he has not spent any of the money or removed other property then I'm afraid he has not committed a criminal offence.

To commit the offence of theft he would need to permanently deprive you of the safe or its contents. That doesn't seem to have been his intention thankfully. If that is not so then there is no theft on the facts here I'm afraid.

I realise that this was a nasty thing to do but its not against the law for that reason Im afraid.

Sorry thats probably not the answer you wanted but it is the position that you face and I have a duty to give you truthful information.

Hope this helps. Please rate my answer OK SERVICE or above and then I will give you related information for free.
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Jo C.
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister