UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

I would like to request information from the MOD regarding…

I would like to request...
I would like to request information from the MOD regarding my deceased father's service record. I've found the relevant forms to apply for this, however am uncertain as to who the 'immediate next of kin' would be in this instance. As far as I know he only served for a period in WW2 which is years before he married my mother. He died in the late 1960s and she remarried in the 1980s (but now divorced). Would she still be considered his spouse? I would ask her to help but it is now causing a real dispute between us and I would rather keep her out of it if at all possible.
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/1/2012
Daniel Smith
Daniel Smith, Daniel Smith

XXXXX XXXXX :

Hi there. Thanks for your question, I will help you with this.

XXXXX XXXXX :

The term "next of kin" has no legal significance in the UK except in the context of metal health act issues. People often nominate their next of kin too. So, in this instance, your best bet is just to put you, and explain the position on the form or in a covering letter.

XXXXX XXXXX :

But typically, it's worth taking some comfort that in medical situations, at least, the next of kin is considered to be the next closest blood relative, so I expect you have better claim to this title that his divorced ex-wife.

XXXXX XXXXX :

I hope this answers your question. If so, please do rate the speed and quality of service by leaving me a rating. It only takes 1 second to do… If you would like more information, then please let me know and I shall do my best to help out! Thank you!

Customer:
Daniel Smith
Daniel Smith, Daniel Smith