UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

My boyfriend was sentenced to 10 months suspended for two years…

My boyfriend was sentenced to...
My boyfriend was sentenced to 10 months suspended for two years and 240 hour community service, 3 months home curfew and ordered to pay £6000 or face 1 month imprisonment. This was for fraud by false misrepresentation which he committed in 2007 but was only sentenced in 2011. He has now breached this suspended sentence for once again fraud by false misrepresentation to the value of £2500 by using fraudulently obtained credit card details. He has completed all of his community order and 3 months curfew for his previous sentence but has not (as on benefit) repaid the £6000 and also breached the suspended sentence. The suspended sentence was for £10000 fraud by false representation. Is it likely that he will face a custodial sentence for the new offence as he has breached the suspended sentence? If so taking into account he confessed to police and pled guilty at the magistrates and also completed all of the community order and curfew what is the length of time he can expect?

Many Thanks

Lisa
7/1/2012
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Hi

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer. I will try to help with this. Please RATE my answer OK SERVICE or above.

I presume this is the first breach?
he received one breach (issued by probation) while doing community service for non attendance. 40 hours was added
So it is a second breach?

Is this the first time its been to court for breach?
no he attended court in december for the first breach. i must add the breach was for the community hours. probation had instigated breach proceedings. he is due in leeds crown court in a months time after going to magistrates last friday.
is he likely to get a custodial? if so how long do you think?

If the trigger offence is a £2500 credit card fraud then the guidelines do include custody unfortunately even for a first offence. Obviously that would depend upon his involvement and the nature of the fraud and a number of other factors. However, given the fact that he is subject to a suspended sentence for the same offence, I would brace yourself for a short custodial sentence in relation to that specific offence.

If he is sent to prison, then the court really only has one option and that is to invoke the suspended sentence.

They have to mark the breach somehow anyway unless he can convince them it would be 'unjust' to impose it. That isn't very likely given the circumstances. They can either impose it in full, or in part or make the community order more onerous.

He has done a lot of it and that should be noted in the reduction of any sentence. He is also almost at the end of the suspended period. I suppose it was elongated because of the first breach.

If he does face a custodial sentence for the new offence then it will be short but it would have to run consecutively. There wouldn't be a justification for a concurrent sentence here.

He may well escape a custodial sentence basically because the amount is much lower. if he does then its likely that the breach would be marked by more onerous community requirements probably of curfew or unpaid work. In fairness though, he is at risk I'm afraid.

Sorry thats probably not the answer you wanted but it is the position that you have and I have a duty to give you truthful and accurate information even though its not what I want to say.

Please rate my answer with OK SERVICE or more and then I will continue for free.

thank you but what length of time is he looking at?
There's been recent case law that allows a court to invoke the full 10 months even though has completed all the community requirements.

It depends whether or not the £6000 was part of a compensation order or a POCA hearing.

If not I would imagine probably about 2-4 months and one month for the substantive offence although obviously that is a pure estimate as I haven't seen the aggravating features of either offence.

I will be happy to continue with this but please rate my answer OK SERVICE or above.
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
OK the £6000 was a compensation order. I must also add that this is his third offence (the £2500). I know it is not an excuse but the £2500 was not used to fund a lavish lifestyle it was used for transportation as he had an illness and was not able to 1) afford public transport 2) walk. The fraud was also not fraud at the outset.
also this offence is under £2500 approx £2100
will this make any difference? he has been told by his solicitor that this amount is low (i.e. non custodial - high community order) His solicitor also thinks that the previous sentence was a little harsh as at the time he represented himself in court. If he is sentenced to custody is there anyway an appeal can be placed for community service again? The probation service in his pre sentence report has reccomened curfew and community hours.
The reason you are experiencing delay is that you keep posting before I have responded which pushes the question to the back of the list.
Yes, its not a large amount although the problem is that you can always meet with the attitude that that was only because he was caught before it became a large amount.

If its not fraudulent but there were multiple fraudulent transactions then the guidelines for a £2500 fraud plus say a fine to a community order but those are guidelines for people of good character pleading not guilty.

He does have the advantage of a guilty plea but he does have relevant previous convictions and the court won't hide from that.

The original sentence may have been a little harsh but its been imposed now.

If he hasn't paid the compensation order at all then that will be something that will need to be addressed.
The mitigation is 1) completed 240 hours community service 2) completed 3 month curfew 3) he was arrested 1 month after he ceased the fraud on his own 4) guilty plea 5) was ill (medical report supplied) and only did it due to dire financial pressures and was unable to seek employment. I must also add that the £2100 was used to attend interviews for employment etc...) The court did issue a 1 month custodial for non payment of the £6000 compensation order but he still has 8 months of his suspended sentence left (in which to repay). Probation are making a recommendation of community order and curfew. Taking all this on board do you still think he will receive a short custodial sentence? Also if it is short say 2-4 months is he likely to be placed in a cat d prison? Also am i correct in thinking (just say it is 4 months) he will only do 2 months in prison or 1 month in prison and 1 month curfew? Is there also the possibility that his defence can state to the judge that they believe the suspend sentence was a little harsh?
1 Thats not mitigation. That is just a reason not to impose in full the suspended sentence.

2 As above.

3 That is a point that might help.

4 That will help.

5 Possibly might be helpful depending on whether or not you meet with a judge would takes the view that financial distress is not an excuse for crime.

He can't have had a one month sentence in default for not paying compensation. That would only be the case if this was a POCA confiscation.

I can't really say what will happen. I haven't seen the case. A probation report will be taken very seriously but obviously this is a third offence and that is something the court will note.

He would probably go first to a Cat B prison and then to Cat C.

You are free to make the point that the suspended sentence was harsh but its not one I would make. It will just antagonise and, come what may, it is hanging over his head which is what really matters.
why would it be a cat c prison? i thought non violent crimes went to cat d? he is not a threat to people. how long before he got transferred to cat c? and suggesting he could 4 months how long is he likely to be inside?
Not necessarily.

Categorisations also relate to those who can be reasonably trusted not to escape. Cat Ds are effectively open prisons and he cannot rely on that. May happen. May not.

He would actually serve half of any custodial sentence imposed on him if it is to be custody. He may well be a candidate for home detention anyway.
ok so you still think after everything he is likely to receive 2-4 months imprisonment.
Like I've said, I really cannot say with certainty.

He may escape custody for the reasons you mention. If he facing custody thats roughly what I would expect without seeing the papers.
just quickly going back to the £6000. he was ordered to repay the £6000 or face 1 month in prison. the time frame for not repaying it (i think) was during the 2 year suspended sentence. there is no mention of poca. if this is imposed as in custody when he is released will he still have to repay the money or is that an end of it. also after he serves half his sentence then released will the other half be saved on curfew or is that then the end of it?
That cant be right.

There cannot be a specific suspended period attached to a compensation order that is dissimilar from the main suspended period.

If this is a POCA matter then he will stil have to repay it even if he does serve the qualifying period.

If its a suspended sentence then they cannot mark compensation as time served but they can revoke the order on the basis that its not realistic.
basically he was told by the judge that he had to repay £6000. nothing was mentioned about poca. he was just told that is what he had to repay or face 1 month imprisonment. if however it is the case it must be poca and he is under the assumption that it should be repaid before his suspended sentence is up
It probably isn't POCA. He would know if it was as there would have been a separate hearing.

To be honest, I think it was probably just part of the original sentence.
does that mean then the 1 month custody can be imposed. he didn't have a separate hearing
No, it just means he hasn't complied with it so that the original sentence could be imposed.

But if its just failing to pay compensation alone then that isn't likely.
but the lime limit i.e. understood to be 2 years is not up so this can't really go against him can it? considering he is on benefits £6000 is a bit unrealistic

But he has still breached a suspended sentence.

It might not go against him that he hadn't paid it all but it could that he hasn't paid anything at all.

what senario would it be unjust to impose the suspended sentence?
Very rarely. Not here.

Something like a very long suspended sentence where the offender had, for instance, maintained to escape from a drugs addiction and fell due to be sentenced for an offence committed a long time ago but just in the suspended term which had only just come to light because of some form of forensic discovery.

Usually the court will impose it in some way but not normally in full.
so to summarise everything up. the best outcome is another community order and curfew and the worst 4 months imprisonment? This includes suspended and new sentence
Yes, roughly. I cant imagine it would be worse then 4 months.
thank you for your advice
No problem.

all the best.
I've just found some really helpful case law if you are still interested.

[R]
Yes please
i would be most grateful if you could forward
I'm really sorry but since posting its come to my attention that you've asked for a refund so I will not be able to continue.

I have opted out for others.
Hi, I have paid the fee again. Can you please accept the payment and supply me with the answer.
Jo C.
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister