UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

My company (P Ltd) does pc repairs and websites. I signed a…

My company (P Ltd) does...
My company (P Ltd) does pc repairs and websites. I signed a contract to build a website for (FOL Ltd). During development the owner of FOL made me the Technical Director of FOL. I built the website with P Ltd as to the contract and worked on the wider needs of FOL as Tech. Dir. but not yet as an employee.
However, the owner of FOL ran out of money when the banks refused a loan, so he is suing me saying the website was not fit for purpose and that all other unfinished items I worked on should be included by implication in the contract. Unfortunately, I had inadvertently signed the contract as myself instead of P Ltd, so there are now 2 defendants. My question is - where do I stand with 'conflict of interest' because I say that as Tech. Dir. the website is perfect for FOL.
7/1/2012
UK-Justice
UK-Justice, Barrister
Thanks for your question. Please remember to rate my answer SMILEY FACE OR ABOVE so that I am credited for my time.

You were you acting on behalf of P Ltd?

I was acting for FOL as Tech Dir. in interpreting the contract and FOL other requirements outside of it, but my programmer under my instructions worked for P Ltd. developing the website.

If you were an employee of p limited then you can not be sued personally.

Your company if liable, would be responsible as employer

However all you need to do is defend the claim.

It is our fol to prove it was not suitable.

You will be giving evidence as yourself for p ltd - rather than fol.

Fol bring the claim so they need to prove it.

Please remember to click *** SMILEY FACE *** or above so that I am credited for my time. The question does not close and you can ask follow ups.

Important: If you feel the need to rate as one of the lower two scores, it counts as negative feedback so please reply to me via the REPLY with any further questions you may have. I will be happy to assist
UK-Justice
UK-Justice, Barrister