UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

I am worried I will receive an injunction not to go to the…

I am worried I will...
I am worried I will receive an injunction not to go to the restaurant where my boyfriend works. How can I stop it?
7/1/2012
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Hi

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer. I will try to help with this. Please RATE my answer OK SERVICE or above.

-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Complicated. Just realised my friends in their 80's have been seeing my Argentinian boyfriend of 2 years behind my back for about a year. She is retired solicitor. Suspect she will try to get an injunction to stop me bothering my boyfriend in the restaurant where he works tomorrow. I have only been there twice by invitation. He and the other staff have a grudge against me for something that happened two months ago.They will all sign anything even if untrue. I may have to break off with him, I cant speak to him at the moment. I feel if I am served this injunction I must break off with him.Maybe my frriends in their eighties are going a bit loopy!
Why do you need to go to this restaurant?
FOR JOM01972 I pick him up from down the road from the restaurant once a week late at night.We only live together fo 3 days a week. He has a room near his restaurant.
My real problems are 1.He is very friendly with all the staff especially 2 young workers he considers like his children, those two are always phoning late at night etc. He has never introduced me to anyone he knows- he has been in uk nearly 3 years. We got engaged recently. Then I asked to have a meal with my daughter in his restaurant and I bought tickets to see Shakespeare in Argentinian Spanish.Things then happened to cause me a lot of stress, I linked them to my above actions which I considered reasonable and I stupidly lost the plot in the end and sent him an email saying,' 'When we go away next week if I am burgled I will send the police straight to the restaurant.' I now realise my friends were right in the middle stirring things up and yes reading my boyfriend's emails it would seem from what I notice now . They are also in at the restaurant I suspect, criticising me and handing out advice against me, maybe legal advice. My boyfriend was very angry with me at this incident as you can imagine. My friends behaviour towards me at the weekend was bad to ridiculousness. Also he is Irish but has lived in UK for 50 years and she is third generation Italian. They suddenly last weekend became racist against me because I am English and also pro Argentinian. They know he has proposed because I told them! The strength of their feeling against me was incredible. Now I know what I have been dealing with for the last year. They seem besotted with my boyfriend and his co workers most of whom are young. Their only son has never had a girlfriend or a boyfriend I think they want me out. They are bored with their lives and they have money .I'm not broke but I don't think of things in those terms. I think a lot of this behaviour is childish, probably including mine!

My boyfriend is 64 and I am 67. Linda Lomri He is divorced with three children in Argentina. I am widowed with three children here, All grown up.
nlk,FOR JOM01972  I pick him up from down the road from the restaurant once a week late at night.We only live together fo 3 days a week. He has a room  near his restaurant.  
My real problems are 1.He is very friendly with all the staff  especially 2 young workers he considers like his children,  those two are always phoning late at night etc. He has never introduced me  to anyone he knows- he has been in uk nearly 3 years. We got engaged recently. Then I asked  to have a meal  with my daughter in his restaurant and I bought tickets to see Shakespeare in Argentinian Spanish.Things then happened to cause me a lot  of stress, I linked them to my above actions which I considered reasonable and I stupidly lost the plot in the end and sent him an email saying,' 'When we go away next week if I am burgled I will send the police straight to the restaurant.' I now realise my friends were right in the middle stirring things up  and yes reading my boyfriend's emails it would seem from what I notice now . They are also in at the restaurant I suspect, criticising me  and handing out advice against me, maybe legal advice. My boyfriend was very angry with me at  this incident as you can imagine.  My friends behaviour towards me at the weekend was bad to ridiculousness. Also he is Irish but has lived in UK for 50 years and she is third generation Italian. They suddenly last weekend became racist against me because I  am English and also pro Argentinian.   They know he has proposed because I told them! The strength of their feeling against me was incredible. Now I know what I have been dealing with for the last year. They seem besotted with my boyfriend  and his co workers most of whom are young. Their only son has never had a girlfriend or a boyfriend  I think they want me out. They are bored with their lives and they have money .I'm not broke but I don't think of things in those terms. I think a lot of this behaviour is childish, probably including mine!

My boyfriend is 64 and I am 67. Linda Lomri  He is divorced with three children in Argentina. I am widowed  with three children here, All grown up.
Unless you have been involved in some form of unlawful activity at the restaurant itself or in relation to it, they are not going to get an injunction order.

However, since you have no real connection to the restaurant you would not sensibly be able to resist an order preventing you from going there. If a Court is of the view that you have no need to be there then it is not likely to allow you to continue to do so if it is satisfied that there has been some form of misconduct.

That said, if this is a restaurant then they don't really need an injunction order unfortunately to stop you attending. They are a private establishment and can refuse entry to any person they like for any reason they like unless, of course, that reason offends against equal opportunities legislation.

What they cannot do is prevent you from being anywhere on the approaches to the restaurant but they are perfectly free to refuse you entry unfortunately.

Sorry thats probably not the answer you wanted but it is the position that you have and I have a duty to give you truthful and accurate information even though its not what I want to say.

Please rate my answer with OK SERVICE or more and then I will continue for free.
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Jo C.
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister