UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

UK Law

I have had problems with an Expert Witness medical report,

the expert has been (as...
I have had problems with an Expert Witness medical report, the expert has been (as agreed by the ICO) withholding from me illegally information regarding the report.

I have attempted via a number of methods to seek a legal remedy for this situation. However, I've just encountered additional problems. As such I asked my solicitor to comply with some reasonable adjustments (Equality Act) and he failed to do so.

I'm now taking him to county court for this violation.

However, he is now asking that a copy of this expert report is disclosed to him. I'm not keen to do this as I cannot fully defend this report due to the author illegally withholding evidence from me.

Can I claim that this report is subject to priverliage (sp)?

Thank You
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/1/2012
Daniel Smith
Daniel Smith, Daniel Smith

XXXXX XXXXX :

Hi there. Thanks for your question, I will help you with this.

XXXXX XXXXX :

Presumably, the solicitor from whom the report is now being withheld, was the individual that liaised with the expert at the outset to obtain the report? If so, did the solicitor never see the report?

Customer:

Hi, No the case involving the Expert Witness I acted as a LIP

XXXXX XXXXX :

Okay. And was the expert witness report obtained under direction from the court, or did you obtain it without the court ordering it?

Customer:

He was Single Joint

XXXXX XXXXX :

Okay. Then, in answer to your question, you will not be able to claim privilege over the document, as it does not fall within the usual category of document for which privilege can attach.

XXXXX XXXXX :

What you can do, however, in the course of the proceedings, is to ask questions of the expert to deal with the issues that you mentioned. If you do not get answers, or sensible answers, to your questions, you are entitled to apply to the court for an order that the expert report respond properly to your questions.

XXXXX XXXXX :

Those replies could then be used in the issue concerning your solicitor.

Customer:

The current case is not linked to the previous case other than the fact that another expert witness report might be need for the current case (proof of disability). Where as before the expert witness reported on ability to bring a claim within time, limitation act.

Customer:

So I don't think the original expert can be called

XXXXX XXXXX :

If your question was whether the expert report in the first set of proceedings can be withheld from the solicitor in those proceedings, then I stand by my view, that privilege will not attached to that document.

XXXXX XXXXX :

If you are referring to a different report, then please clarify?

Customer:

Do you have a link for what consititues priverlage?

XXXXX XXXXX :

Have a look at this: http://www.herbertsmith.com/NR/rdonlyres/EB08CAF2-2B4D-4C97-916F-E4A8C7D50116/0/CM6.pdf

Customer:

cheers :)

Customer:

Thank You, bye

XXXXX XXXXX :

Anytime! I hope this answers your question. If so, please do rate the speed and quality of service by leaving me a rating. It only takes 1 second to do… If you would like more information, then please let me know and I shall do my best to help out! Thank you!

XXXXX XXXXX :

Bye!

Daniel Smith
Daniel Smith, Daniel Smith
Daniel Smith
Daniel Smith
Daniel Smith, Daniel Smith