UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

Uk. I believe in 1997 I was charge with reckless criminal damage.

I was ordered to pay...
Uk. I believe in 1997 I was charge with reckless criminal damage. I was ordered to pay £400 for the damage of the car bonnet I stood on.....stupid I know. I have been asked on a job application form if I have ever been charged of a criminal offence. As this conviction was spent in 2002 how do I answer
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/1/2012
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Hi

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer. I will try to help with this. Please RATE my answer OK SERVICE or above.

Are you being CRB checked?
Yes I will be CRB checked
Sorry in the application form it states
General information:rehabilitation of offenders act 1974
Have you ever been convicted of a criminal offence?
So are you enhanced checked or standard?
I dont know i will assume enhanced
If I say no....am I lying.....if I say yes, do y think it is likely I won't get the job? I can assure you I am no criminal of any sort and I have been a hard working man rising to a senior level in my industry
The reason you are experiencing delay is that you keep posting before I have responded which pushes the question to the back of the list.

I am really going to need to know which level of checking you are facing. It will make all the difference.
Sorry! I think because of the industry which is pharmaceutical it may be enhanced.......I will keep quiet for a bit now
If its enhanced then it will show. There are things you can do about that but it will show.

I think you were probably fined by the Court as that would seem likely given the offence. That will be spent after 5 years. That will mean it will drop off basic checking. It would probably still show on standard and certainly on enhanced.

There is a procedure that allows you to ask the Chief Constable not to include it on your checking. It would be worth invoking it as its free to do and, in fairness, this is quite old and isolated incident. It also doesn't really suggest any temper issues if the facts that you describe are correct. That said, convictions are not often removed.

The question you will have been asked is probably whether you have any convictions that are not spent under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act. Application forms should make that clear now. If you are not asked that then you certainly are being enhanced checked.

If you are being enhanced checked though, you will have to tell the truth. They will find out in the end and then you will get in more trouble for not declaring as that would suggest dishonesty. This is an isolated conviction that is over 15 years old. It has no relevance really to anything you are doing. While convictions are never really a commendation, this one is not going to be a significant disadvantage. Also at least if you disclose you will have the opportunity to explain the circumstances.

Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister