UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

Is there a difference between a coastal area and a coastline?

Feel free to cite an...
Is there a difference between a coastal area and a coastline? Feel free to cite an authority.
7/1/2012
INC
INC, Solicitor-Advocate

INC :

Please remember to RATE my answer by using the smiley faces OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE. If you seek clarification please ask.

INC :

Hi, the coastal area will include the continental shelf wheras the coastline refers to land upto the water.

INC :

I hope this answers your question. If so, kindly click ACCEPT. If you wish to discuss, please feel free to ask further questions. Kind regards

Customer:

Can you provide me with your legal authority for this distinction?

INC : I will find the specific definition and revert back to you.
Customer:

Thank you

INC :

No problem.

Customer:

Just a reminder....

INC :

Hi, I will have to get back to you on this tomorrow.

Customer:

Hi Inc

Customer:

tomorrow is fine...

INC :

Many thanks,

INC :

Im trying to watch the Euro Cup Final :)

INC :

INC :

I have now had a chance to look into this and my response above was based on a dictionary definition. However, I have had a quick glance at the Marine & Coastal Access Act 2009 as well as the Territorial Sea Act 1987 and the Maritime Conventions ACt 1911 and although they refer to coas and coastline, there is no clear definition.

INC :

One interesting point is that the Territorial Sea Act 1987 states that the extent of the UK's territory will extend for 12 nautical miles from any sea adjacent to the UK. This would mean that any land within the sea would belong to the crown up to a distance of 12 nautical miles (international nautical miles of 1,852 metres (1.15078 mile)).

INC :

Unfortunately, I cannot offer anything further as I know very little about marine law as this is a niche area.

INC :

I hope this helps. If so, kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.

INC :

Many thanks,

Customer:

Are you happy that Spain won? ;-)

INC :

Yes. It was a good game.

INC :

I hope this helps. If so, kindly rate the answer and provide feedback. Many thanks

Customer:

As we say here..Italy got a good licking.

Customer:

The information is not exactly what i was looking for but it has helped somewhat so thank you.

INC
INC, Solicitor-Advocate