How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Senior Partner Your Own Question
Senior Partner
Senior Partner, Solicitor
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 13325
Experience:  30 years experience in business law and related topics such as employment law
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Senior Partner is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

companies act 2006 section 477 and section 476, I am a shareholder

This answer was rated:

companies act 2006 section 477 and section 476, I am a shareholder that wishes to make sure that an audit is made, what is the procedure for example does there have to be a certain number of shareholders (members) to force an audit
Thank you for your question. Is the Company exempt as a small or dormant company? If so then you can give notice if you together any other shareholders hold 10% or more of the shares in issue but you have to do so not more than 1 month before the end of the relevant financial year. You cannot do so afterwards. You can do it alone if you hold enough shares.

Any such notice should be served on the registered office. There is no particular form as long as you make it clear it is a notice under s476 and it is signed by sufficient shareholders.

There are not any specific regulations as the act is quite clear on what is required. If you give the required notice the directors cannot file the correct accounts unless they obtain the audit and will be subject to potential penalty for such failure.

Let me know if you have any supplemental questions.
Senior Partner and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you