How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7602
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What can I do to get a divorce? I separated from my husband

Resolved Question:

What can I do to get a divorce? I separated from my husband about 4 years ago, we got mat married in Africa. We have 2 children together who live with me. He has the marriage certificate, which he sent in to the home office when he applied for his entry Visa to join me in the UK. I have gone to the solicitors about getting a divorce, they wrote to the home office requesting the marriage certificate but the home office refused on grounds of privacy and confidentiality. They stated that my husband is the only one that can access his home office entry file.
I have contacted him asking him to get the certificate for me but he refused. What do I do?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for your question.
You have two options.
The first is to get in contact with the registry where your marriage occurred. They will be able to refer you to the district or principal registry in South Africa where certified copies of your marriage certificate are held and you will have to order a copy. If it is not in English then you will have to have it translated for use with the divorce petition. I should imagine this would be easiest way forward.
The alternative would be an application to the Court for an order against the Home Office UKBA that the marriage certificate is released to you or your solicitor for use in your divorce petition. This would be very time consuming though.

I would investigate the possibility of obtaining a certified copy of the certificate from SA frankly.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question. You will not be charged any further money for clicking accept.
If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you