How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7617
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

When buying a car in the UK and taking it to South Africa,

Resolved Question:

When buying a car in the UK and taking it to South Africa, is there a contract you can get to protect one's rights?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for your question.
To enable me to answer your question could you please respond to the following:-
1. Protect in what sense? Do you mean a contract between you and the buyer which somehow acknowledges that you will be taking the car to SA?
Kind regards.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi Tom,


Yes, that is exactly what I mean. I am looking for a contract that will basically say that I have bought the car and paid for it. Also something that, when the car gets to South Africa, I can prove it is mine...something that protects me from the authorities saying that the car is not mine to export to another country.

Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.


Thanks for your reply.
You will execute a contract with the dealer of the car which acknowledges that you have paid a sum of money for the car. The Contract will identify the car and therefore is proof of the fact that the legal title has transferred to you.
If the car is new then the dealer will also provide you with a Registration Certificate, which is absolute proof that you own the vehicle.

If the car is a used card then the dealer will provide you with one of three registration documents which you can then use to update the DVLA of the change of ownership of the card in your favour:-
The above will be completely sufficient to prove that you own the card
The contract itself will acknowledge that the contract is governed by UK law. Dealers will not depart from this (eg to say it’s governed by another country’s laws). This means if there is a problem with the car and you fall in to a litigious dispute then you would have to resolve the issue via the UK courts.
If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question. You will not be charged any further money for clicking accept.
If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,
Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you