UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

I have worked with an American owned Company (UK based) from…

Customer Question
I have worked with an...
I have worked with an American owned Company (UK based) from Jan2010. My job title was Telemarketing Executive. I was provided a basic salary (increased annually) a yearly incentive payment (paid in Dec dependant on achieving Key Performance indicators) and a monthly commission paid when achieving monthly goals.
My boss asked me into his office on 25th March 2012. He confirmed to me that my package was changing, my commission payments were no longer being paid.
He provided me with no documentation and did not confirm what my new salary was going to be.
I have now received a document (A4) confirming my job role is changing. I will no longer be a Telemarketing Executive, I will now be a Market Development Executive.
My next pay date is 25th April 2012, and I have received no formal communication from the Company of what my new salary package will be.
I am concerned I will no longer be earning the same level of earnings as I have been. I have been given no consultation on this and I am interested to understand if this is legal.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: UK Law
4/10/2012
Solicitor: Ben Jones, UK Lawyer replied 6 years ago
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Hello and thank you for your question, which I will be happy to assist you with. Please let me know what is their justification for this?

Ben,

There are a number of reasons why the Organisation wishes to change the role/salary package.

Currently our commission payment for generating new leads for the organisation are uncapped.

This change may be a way to either reduce overall earnings ( this is a Global change for our role) OR it may be a strategic decision. My boss has confirmed to me that the reason for the change is due to the fact that our CEO dislikes commission payments as a reason to incentivise, and 'hires people to do a good job'. The idea here being that he will pay a basic salary, no commission and then reward with an incentive at the end of the year (50% dependant on your own Key objectives, and 50% dependant on the Global profit).

IN other words, I have had no justification either by e-mail or in writing for not only the change in payment structure, but also the job role.

For Ben Jones Only,

Ben, I am just wondering if you have received my answer to your question and if you require any further information?

Regards

Apologies for the slight delay, I experienced some temporary connection issues earlier.
It appears that your employment terms and conditions are changing. There are several ways in which an employer may try and introduce changes to an employee’s contract of employment:
1. By receiving the employee’s express approval to the changes (not always necessary if there are collective agreements in place, which have been negotiated by a recognised Trade Union and which is the employee is bound by).
2. By forcefully introducing the changes (called unilateral change of contract).
3. By giving the employee notice to terminate their employment and then offer them immediate re-engagement on the new terms.
If the employee agrees to the changes then that would usually put an end to the matter.
If the changes are introduced forcefully then the following options are open to the employee:
1. Accept the changes, start working on the new terms and not take the matter any further.
2. Start working on the new terms but making it clear to the employer (preferably in writing) that they are working ‘under protest’. This means that the employee does not agree with the changes but is only working them because they are forced to. In the meantime try and resolve the issue either by informal discussions or by raising a formal grievance. At the same time, the employee can bring in a claim for breach of contract in the civil courts or, if the changes relate to a reduction in pay, a claim for unlawful deduction of wages in an employment tribunal.
3. If the changes amount to a fundamental breach of contract (i.e. a change that affects at least one of the key contractual terms, such as pay, place of work, etc.) the employee may wish to consider taking the final step of resigning and claiming constructive dismissal. The resignation must be done without undue delay so as not to give the impression that the changes had been accepted. The claim must be submitted in an employment tribunal within 3 months of resigning and is subject to the employee having at least 1 year’s continuous service.
Finally, if the employment is terminated and the employer offers re-engagement on the new terms that could potentially amount to unfair dismissal. However, the employer can justify the dismissal if they had a sound business reason for dismissing an employee who refuses to accept the variation in terms. If no such reason exists, the employee can make a claim for unfair dismissal in an employment tribunal. The same time limit of 3 months to claim and the need to have 1 year’s continuous would apply.
Sometimes employment contracts may try to give the employer a general right to make changes to any term of the employee’s contract. As such clauses purport to give the employer carte blanche to change any term of the employment relationship, so as to evade the general rule that changes must be mutually agreed, courts will rarely enforce such clauses. Nothing but the clearest language will be sufficient to create such a right. Any attempt to rely on such clauses will still be subject to the requirement of the employer to act reasonably and in the spirit of the mutual trust and confidence relationship it enjoys with its employees.
Please press Accept for the advice given so far. If necessary, I can then provide further advice and guidance as required and answer any specific questions you may have. Thank you