UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

As a family friend I act as agent for a foreign national…

Customer Question
As a family friend I...
As a family friend I act as 'agent' for a foreign national living abroad who owns a house in London. Their bank and/or insurance companies ask for Power of Attorney before they will
deal with me. What form should this P.of A. take seeing that it will be issued abroad in my name and I will not be present to sign ?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: UK Law
3/6/2012
Solicitor: Alex J., Litigator replied 6 years ago
Alex J.
Alex J., Litigator

Thank you for your question.

The Power of Attorney must take the form of a deed and must be signed in the presence of a witness by the principal giving the POA. You do not need to sign it.

I would also suggest that the POA of makes specific reference to the property concerned and is limited to the power to deal with this property only.

Kind regards

AJ
Alex J.
Alex J., Litigator
When the POA is prepared in Arabic with English translation, is an electronic (e-mail)transfer recognized in UK, or does it need to be an hard copy posted ?

I would make sure that the document is in English before it is signed. It relates to the power to deal with property in England you would therefore need the English courts to enforce it. Having to translate a document for this purpose is not advisable.

It will need to be signed and witnessed in person, by the individual giving the POA.

Kind regards

AJ