How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7602
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

can I bring my children with mefrom Pakistan after they got

Resolved Question:

can I bring my children with mefrom Pakistan after they got British passports, get a council house, claim from DWP and then sponsor my wife for settlement. She is in receipt of adult dependance from DWP in Pakistan. We will be with savings of £8,000 so she can seek work. She will not be recourse to public fund as she will shre our resources and get extra fund from my children if required. Please advise if that would be a feasable solution to her settlement visa for UK as my spouse.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Other.
expert is busy please refere to any immigration law expert thanks
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Could you please confirm that you are British.

What nationality is your wife?

Please also advise me if your wife has previously made an application for settlement?

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you to show your interest in my wife's settlement visa application. I am British and have lived in UK for 50 years,worked as professional,then owned several houses and warehouses,already sponsore several members of my family successfully,but now I am on limitted means because I have lost my business about 12 years ago and was living on my own savings which are now exhausted. I managed to get her adult dependency claim from DWP while she is in Pakistan.

My wife is Pakistan National but I am making an application to get British Passports for my children born in Pakistan.

No my wife will be making her settlement application first time and it is crucial to take the right course of action. Thank you and hope to get your advice
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

So, sorry your wife is in receipt of SWP benefits whilst she is in Pakistan?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Her adult dependency claim was granted to me but DWP has stopped from 1st July 2011 since they class me now UK permanent resident. She can reclaim when we are living together in UK. One private immigration lawer daid it was ti her advantage but you say it is a disadvantage if she claimed.
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for your reply.

To be frank I’m not a benefits lawyer so I can’t really comment on whether or not that money should have been claimed.

However, in respect of the settlement application this would be regarded I am sure as public funds. You will be aware that one criteria of eligibility for settlement is that no public funds should be claimed. This is taken to meant that you shall not claim any additional public funds as a result of your wife coming here to settle.

Therefore, you will have to show in your application using documentary evidence (eg. bank/building society statements, budgets for income, outgoings, employment contract, documents relating to your accommodation (land registry official copies or tenancy agreement)) that you will be able to support and accommodate your wife without needing to access any more public funds than you already do.

The receipt of those earlier monies may be a problem if they should not have been claim and I would advise speaking the DWP directly to ensure that at the time you received those monies you were in fact eligible to do so.

if she is to work in the UK then you can supply with the settlement applications job adverts for jobs in the area where you shall live together with your wife’s CV to demonstrate that she will be able to derive an income once she is here to further re-enforce confidence in your ability to support/accommodate yourselves
If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question. You will not be charged any further money for clicking accept.

Kind regards,

Thomas and 2 other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you